ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Is there a violation if you used a cable with another conductor or two in a raceway system?
(example a 12-3 w/g Romex and an additional THHN for the 4th ungrounded conductor in a 3/4" raceway).
It didn't sound right when I heard it but I am not sure what you would cite.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

That's interesting...
I must say none of the rocket scientists here thought that up....yet!
Time to ponder what (if anything) to cite.

FYI: another reason to add common sense to the NEC?

John
can you install NM cable in a complete raceway system? Or only in a piece of raceway just for physical protection?

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

G
I can't cite any rule that says you can't have NM cable in a raceway system. Since all circuit conductors come through the same connector there are no inductive heating problems. I know this is ugly but I am stumped to come up with a violation.

Greg Fretwell
T
It's not a violation.

However, due to economics you'd not expect to see it.

It's generally impractical.

Tesla
K
I’m wondering if 300.3[B] and 300.3[B],1 might apply if the conductors are all part of the same circuit, since both also state the same "cable or cord" as well.
Something else maybe, is that 334.15[B] is for exposed work, so not sure if this would preclude the NM from being run in a conduit that is concealed or partially concealed.

G
I suspect the RX was there first and the THHN was added.

KJay, this was all exposed in a garage/shop. A 240 2 pole was converted to 120/240 3 pole from what I could assume.
I see RX in pipe quite a bit, just because that is what resi guys have on the truck or what homeowners buy at the HD. I bet 99% of it is fed into the pipe as they build the system just because of how hard it is to pull RX in pipe.
I think part of it is you can buy RX cheaper than THHN if you don't want 500 feet.

I was not AHJ, just asked if it was legal as "gee whiz" info.

Greg Fretwell
K
I guess technically you might be able to say that EMT fittings are not designed or listed for use with NM cables, since I see where 300.15 says that fittings and connectors shall be used only with the specific wiring method for which they are designed and listed.

IMO, I don’t think the NEC allowing NM to be sleeved for protection was intended to allow unlimited use like that, but I’m also not sure exactly where to find a specific rule prohibiting it.

Kjay:
The fittings you reference above are EMT, and used on the EMT, not the NM as I understand Gregs description. 300.15 would be a bad cite.

I tend to say there is nothing to directly cite, unless at the begining of the circuit, there is no 'from-to' connector.

John
K
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Kjay:
The fittings you reference above are EMT, and used on the EMT, not the NM as I understand Gregs description. 300.15 would be a bad cite.

I tend to say there is nothing to directly cite, unless at the begining of the circuit, there is no 'from-to' connector.

True. It was just something to mull over. My thought was that NM is a separate wiring method with its own installation requirements and listed connectors, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard