ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#196764 10/26/10 09:16 PM
W
Does anyone have any billboard advertisements which actually worked to get new business, and that you would be willing to share? I would expect they should be short and sweet to get the attention of those that see them, but would really be interested in the basics of any successful boards that you have used in the past. I know that most of you have experienced advertisement dollars that didn't seem to produce any measurable results. Have been in business about 15 years and just need some new customers and work. I am talking about residential and commercial from service work to new construction.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
W
Ok does anyone have any billboards that didn't work?

Watthead:
FWIW, I found that word of mouth was the best advertising.

I placed an ad in the Yellow Pages (once), and tracked any & all calls...in one year I got four (yes, 4) calls from 'the book'. Three were waste of time estimates, one resulted in a small job (>$300).

One of the 'large' contractors around here has a full page phone book ad ($$$$$), and all his fleet vehicles wrapped, and shirt & tie crews, and a really big sign on his shop. He does Elec, Plumb & HVAC & gets top, top dollar for all jobs.

I cannot ever remember any ECs with a billboard!

John
K
I don’t have any experience with billboard ads, but it seems like these days, if people see that you can afford to advertise on a billboard, they will probably just assume your prices are high and won’t call you. You might get more response from just placing a freebie ad on your local Craigslist.

I know when I’m driving I don’t generally pay that much attention to billboards since I’m too busy driving for everyone else around me.

T
twh Offline
Personal contacts are important. Join a club.

I beleive a billboard add would be considered more marketing then advertising. It is to create "top of mind" recognition. You will not get many direct calls from this type of ad, but when a customer looks in the book and sees the full page add, bam they also remember the name from the sign. They may not even remember where they know the name from. The marketing done by some folks probably causes them to have to charge big big bucks. I find they also have hugh overhead in the front office. There customer loyality is also questionable. You would be better off joining the Lions club. Make some good friends and sell some electrical work, of course it may take some time but the leads will be solid. Try also, BNI Business Networkers Internationl very good and it is possible to get lots of work quick.

Ob

PS having one of my best years ever thus far, always marketing. Rearly advertise. Todays contact is tomorrows job. And everyone is a customer, even other EC's

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
I have stopped the yellow pages ads about 9 years ago. A waste of time and money. As suggested by John, word of mouth is the best way.

Also, I have been a member of the local BNI (business networking international) for about 8 years and it has been great. But it takes commitment, once a week 7:00AM to 8:30AM.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Link Copied to Clipboard