ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
I've been looking at some of the stuff we use with our wires ... termination compounds (anti-seizes), cable lubes, etc. I was a bit surprised to note that many common products are not UL listed, nor am I sure there is any code requirement for such a listing.

What is your take?

G
110.14 just says "suitable for use". Prior to the MSDS there may have been some mystery about what was in these magic potions but now it is there for all to see.

Greg Fretwell
K
Well, I know the duct seal compound and anti-ox I use are, but not seeing it on much of anything else. I even have a few different types of food grade greases, oils and spray lubes that do say "NSF H1" on them, but no UL listing.
One thing I find odd is that I have a can of that 3M Scotch Coat on the shelf and I don’t see any UL listing on the can. You would think that since it is used for insulating purposes it would be listed. The can is unopened, but is still probably 5-years old, so maybe they have updated their product since then.

G
Ideal Yellow 77 is U/L listed.

Greg Fretwell
S
UL is only one of the several aproved third party testing Labratories. CSA, ETL, FM are a few more third party labs that can approve products. Nec states that only listed or approved parts shall be used. The ahj can approve a unlisted item like a de ox paste

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
110.2 says that about "conductors and equipment" and it is the AHJ that "approves" things. They just use listing as a tool to ease the approval process.
I am still not sure lube or paste is "equipment".
That brings you back to 110.14 where it says things like this should be "suitable".

Materials such as solder, fluxes, inhibitors, and compounds, where employed, shall be suitable for the use and shall be of a type that will not adversely affect the conductors, installation, or equipment.

The NRTL label is a good indicator but I am not sure how you enforce it.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

110.2 would state that "equipment" be listed but wouldn't 90.4 the section that would allow an AHJ to make that kind of a judgement call?

Also as an AHJ/EC I was always looking for newer and better ideas to make our industry better. So I wouldn't hesitate to try something new in order to make the job go smoother.

K
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Ideal Yellow 77 is U/L listed.

I see that I have some bottles of Greenlee Cable-Gel that say UL Listed on them also.
I guess this means that we shouldn’t use the homeowners lemon fresh Joy to squeak that NM through the gap between the plaster and lathe up in the ceiling.

G
This all gets back to being "suitable". If something from a responsible company is sold as wire lube, it is probably suitable. When you start using something sold as something else, you are on dangerous ground because it may not be suitable.
The reality is, wire like THHN is pretty tough stuff and not easy to hurt but dollar for dollar, why take a chance on something that probably costs as much as the real thing?
Good old "77" really seems to work as well as any home remedy.

As a side note, if you are pulling CAT5 or coax through smurf or RNC a little squirt of 77 makes the difference between getting it through or not. That stuff will seize up in the raceway in a heartbeat without some lube.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard