ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
When using MC, AC -- which are bundled factory colors -- the Code permits #6 thru #14 to be re-identified. Think switch-legs.

That option does NOT exist for EMT runs where it is obvious that the correct color can be pulled in at no extra expense.

Of late, there is a trend to use fully covered feeders. Very handy.

On all commercial jobs out my way we see mixed 277 and 120 volt grounded distribution. Yes, separate colors and MC are ordered.

Because the neutral for the 120 run is 30 degrees delayed behind the 277 neutral -- they CANNOT run on the same conductor. That's why the Code has the OP's noted provision.

BTW, delta and wye diagrams come from Tensor Mathematics. When you drop the tensor diagram for a Wye transformer inside the Delta tensor you can see that the three legs split the interior vee's in half. So...

Each Vee = 60 degrees
Cut in two = 30 degrees
So when delta waves are transformed into wye functions they lag by 30 degrees -- because the media is an inductor.

If, for any reason, these neutrals get crossed over you get terrific harmonics on them as 'circulating current.'

Tesla
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Caution
:opinion bit on:
When I think "reidentifiy" I think "change type of conductor" (like like using white for an ungrounded conductor). If you are using other than green, gray or white as ungrounded conductors any additional tape is just informational, not reidentification. (like putting B O Y tape on a black 12ga wire to signify it is 480v)
I agree they do make MC cable in a wide variety of configurations/colors and if I was wiring a whole building I would get some but I don't think the code requires that I buy it if I am just hooking up a troffer on a 408/277 wye. AFC doesn't seem to be bragging about having violet/gray anyway. I would put violet tape on the hot tho.

Greg Fretwell
Niko Offline OP

That option does NOT exist for EMT runs where it is obvious that the correct color can be pulled in at no extra expense.

I guess this is what i am looking for. What is the code reference?

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Niko #196615 10/16/10 08:23 PM
G
If you are looking for a reference to putting purple tape on a black wire and using it for an ungrounded conductor, I don't think you can find a rule against it.
All of the reidentification rules I know are in articles about grounded and grounding conductors. (green, gray and white ID going one way or the other)

Greg Fretwell
Niko Offline OP
[quote]
Originally Posted by gfretwell
If you are looking for a reference to putting purple tape on a black wire and using it for an ungrounded conductor, I don't think you can find a rule against it.

That is what i was looking. as i mentioned before, i was under the impression that re-ID of smaller colored insulated conductor was not allowed.

Thank you all.
I Learn something new everyday.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Niko #196622 10/17/10 04:12 AM
G
That is my opinion, your mileage may vary. wink

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard