ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Any comments on how well these work and what brands to get/stay away from? Seems like not having to install test rods or break the ground connection is a big plus.

Thanks for any comments!

I've heard nothing 'bad' about any of these tools, but I want to add I have not used any.

John
Cat Servant
Call this post a 'warning shot' across every electricians' bow.

The NEC just says you need a ground rod ... that's ONE ground rod ... unless the resistance is greater than 25 ohms, in which case a second rod is needed.

The first aspect is that some have turned this requirement inside-out, saying that YOU have to 'prove' that your rod has the required low resistance - or, you MUST drive a second rod.

Next, every HI wants one of these gizmos so they can discover new 'defects.'

Together, these create a bias that we've been doing it all wrong for the past century, and that a single rod in never enough.

G
I think that is the perception. I usually hear the defacto answer is drive two rods if that is your only electrode. Florida pretty much makes the Ufer mandatory in new construction since the Ufer inspection is part of the footer inspection so it will always be "available". If you lose that connection you will be chipping concrete in most jurisdictions. That is why the "7 iron" is so popular. There is no exposed copper to be broken off and/or stolen.

Greg Fretwell
M
We don't see many rods any more in my area but the rules here are 2 - 10 foot rods 3 meters apart. There is so much rock and hardpan clay that ground plates are the rule except for a counterpoise ground for a HV service.
We dropped the resistance requirement from our code a long time ago.
Given the role a Ground wire serves I think it is mostly all overkill. It is rare that high voltages including lightning ever get on the low voltage wires, the neutral is the real fault current path to the source anyway.

G
The function of the ground is not to clear faults, it is to create a local ground reference so the case of your drill is at the same potential as the concrete slab you are sitting on. In that regard, the ufer is your best bet. Earth ends up being a significant return path for neutral current tho, in spite of the theory and 250.6. Wye distribution pretty much assures it. Even with delta distribution, you will still be sharing the earth with the neutral. You want a local ground reference.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
I'm not sure what you mean by "the 7 iron," Greg. A picture. perhaps?

G
That term came from here. It is when you turn up a piece of rebar, built into the wall and make the Ufer connection there.
That is very popular here in SW Florida but right across the swamp on the East Coast, AHJs don't like it.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/ufer.jpg

Greg Fretwell
Reno:

As to the '2 rods'...basically most ECs I know 'just do it', as if it's looked at in a dollars and sense standpoint. Taking into account the $$$ of testing equipment, driving the reference rods & performing the test, economical sense is to drive the second rod & the job is done.

For some time, quite a few guys still installed rods with Ufers, and I still find the occasional 'water ground' with a jumper on the 2" plastic main, and PEX piped resi.

John
I can't say I've ever used one of these clamp-on type testers.
I've always used the one with the two test rods, I suppose it's what you're bought up with I guess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard