ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Mike:

Could you say about how much time you need to do a earth resistance test with the tool you mention above.

Could you put a dollar value on the cost to perform the test? US$ or NZ Dollars, & I'll use the exchange rates here.

Is it a standard practice for you to do the test, or just for 'special occasions'?

Stay safe!

John
Cat Servant
Despite the various ads, in my memory these testers were not originally developed for testing ground rods!

I recall various testing firms using them, instead, for the testing of equipment bonds .... that is, to verify that the 2" pipe really could clear a fault if the 150-amp conductors within had a major fault.

Testing grounds isn't a bad thing; better to KNOW than to just 'think.' I do question the use of various devices by untrained "Inspector Gadgets." I also question the wisdom of trying to legislate perfection.

Sorry if I got the thread off on a tangent. IMO, were I to buy one of these testers, I'd be just as happy with the lesser-known names; Fluke didn't invent them, nor do I see any advantage in their pricier version.

Originally Posted by HotLine1
Mike:

Could you say about how much time you need to do a earth resistance test with the tool you mention above.

Could you put a dollar value on the cost to perform the test? US$ or NZ Dollars, & I'll use the exchange rates here.

Is it a standard practice for you to do the test, or just for 'special occasions'?

Hi John,
Umm, it doesn't actually take that long to do one of these tests, I'm talking in under 10 minutes.
I modified the test stakes and welded some steel plates to the tops of them to make driving them easier and a tool to pull them out of the ground again.

Pretty much, most of the time involved with this test is the set-up and take-down afterwards.
The meter I use, a Metrohm, gives you an instant readout in Ohms, so there are no awkward calcs to do.

Regarding the need to do these tests, it really depends upon who you ask.
Under our current Regulations, you are required to test the "effectiveness of the Earth Electrode, before the installation is connected to a source of supply".
Coming from a Line Mechanic back-ground, this is a test I'd never fail to do

L
For some time, quite a few guys still installed rods with Ufers, and I still find the occasional 'water ground' with a jumper on the 2" plastic main, and PEX piped resi.

They don't peel back the outer layer of Pex-Al-Pex pipe to bond to the Al layer? Those lazy clowns! grin

Larry C

Last edited by Trumpy; 09/30/10 11:26 PM. Reason: Edited bad language out
Attempting to 'ground' plastic pipe onto the aluminum mid-layer? Jeez, someones going to try it for sure! bash Peeling back the outer layer of PEX would compromise the anti-oxygen penetration properties of the pipe and seriously weaken its pressure capability. Nicking the inner layer would be almost a certainty. Result: Call back with a mop!

Wood work but can't!
G
Everyone knows you bond plastic pipe with weed eater string and use a tywrap for the clamp.

Greg Fretwell
T
It's going to be tough selling such meters out my way.

My AHJ insists upon Ufers with #4 bonding all around on the GEC System and 200A minimums.

For temp power, only, we can get away with a ground rod -- just one -- and the temp Service is limited to 100A.

Tesla
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard