ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#19637 12/30/02 10:14 PM
Expanding on a thought that NESparky posted.
"If you travel, you have to know the local codes & where permits/inspections are required"

Do any of us members travel, either within a stste, or out of state?
If so, how do you keep up with the different area rules & regs?

John

John
#19638 12/30/02 10:48 PM
G
I live in Ga. but it's only about 5 miles to N.C. We do work there sometimes for a N.C. sparky/plumber/septic installer,mostly sparky work.He pulls all permits of course. If I,m on the job by myselfand have a question, a call or visit to ahj's office is all it takes. The 3 counties we work in there all have local amendments to nec and the ahj,s office will gladly furnish you a copy of local requirements.

#19639 12/31/02 06:01 PM
Guess that all of us AHJ's aren't bad guys after all.
I usually "help out" whoever I can up here, and it's refreshing to know that others reciprocate.

John

John
#19640 01/01/03 01:19 AM
G
Hotline, In my humble experience, most of the ahj,s i've run across, if they see that you are doing your best to comply and do a good professional job they will bend over backwards to help.If you try to hide something or sneak it past them,"you've had the lick" as we hillbillies say.

#19641 01/01/03 02:53 AM
N
The reason I made that comment was for years I did travel. Worked here -there different type of jobs. It was a way to see several parts of the country and learn about different type of electrical work.
I found out that knowing how the code is applied in a particular area is key to having projects go well.
Have worked in sawmills, power plants, meat packing plants, ethonal, methonal, chip making plants both as a maintenace electrician and built new ones. Have also remodeled offices,stores and houses. All while traveling to 12 different states. Have gotten licenses in 4 of those states. The rest reciprrocated with the ones I held or did not require any.
Then I worked for an outfit that built cold storage warehouses. They sent me to 8 states in the next 4 years while building 7 new plants.
As you can see, traveling was worthwhile. It let me see a lot of our country. I have see some fine fellow electricians along the way. I have met some AHJ's who would help out with answering questions, some who nit picked everything because I was not a local and one who when I asked about the procedure for getting a permit in his jurisdiction complained about his "small paycheck" and his daughters college expenses.
I have also seen some very ugly work.
Travel can be enjoyable, but it is hard on you. Most jobs that hire travelers are working a lot of overtime. 6 10's is common have worked jobs that had 7 12's for 4 months straight.
Now I have slowed down to my own business 60-70 hrs/wk, and limit my travel to a 75 mile area from home. I can spend a lot more time with my family.
Despite the troubles I had traveling I am very happy I did it.

ed
#19642 01/01/03 09:09 AM
Southern CA has more than 130 cities/jurisdictions, plus the 7 Counties. Up until the adoption of our latest codes in Nov., each of them was allowed to amend the Codes as they saw fit, and many did.
(I guess this was like traveling without having to leave the area??)

Link Copied to Clipboard