ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
Greg, we've had a number of threads on the general topic of AFCi's, and I don't think it will help to go over that ground again.

I started this thread because a cursory glance at the changes proposed for the 2011 edition suggests that the NEC will allow the use of AFCI devices in more situations.

We also need to keep in mind that there truly are BILLIONS of dollars at stake here, as the NEC wavers back and forth. You simply cannot legislate 'progress.' Manufacturers are not about to risk their existance on chance - especially when they've been burned once already!

That's why I put the call out .... if anyone actually sees one of these 'now allowed' devices, I want to know about it.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Greg:
Reading the language/intent of the NEC, the branch circuit from the panel to the AFCI device MUST be in a metalic raceway, or MC cable. That would be the protection IMHO of the wording and reasoning of the NEC requirements.

Presumably, any arc would be within the metalic raceway, and be of sufficient magnatude to trip the branch OCP.

Keep in mind that the above is my opinion.

BTW, the P&S rep emailed back that there is NO AFCI device available from P&S.

John
G
I didn't read the OP thoroughly enough. Yes, AFCI's in general have been discussed enough.
To the point, in an Eaton seminar yesterday, the class was told that P&S had a patent on an AFCI device but that no actual product existed (other than prototypes)and none was currently planned, and that the same was true of Eaton/CH. Production is stalled by uncertainty over the adaptation of the code change mentioned by the OP'er. All of this info is at least 3rd hand.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard