ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Niko Offline OP
If it is up to me i would put one in there. And that is great idea for it to be CR (corrosion resistance). I agree that it will probably get used.

From a code perspective, the bathroom fits the definition but it is not inside a dwelling unit.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Niko:

You are 100% correct, the bathroom fits the definition, but it's not within the dwelling structure....IF it's a free standing structure. The receptacle is not NEC required.

Along the lines of Greg's comment, those with 'pool houses' (cabanas) usually desire a lot of creature comforts, and IMHO an upsell for a dedicated circuit & a GFI recept should not be an issue.

John
Niko Offline OP
Thank you all for your comments.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

H
Greg,

If anyone is worried about dampness being a problem with GFI receptacles, they could use those new ones type that are Weather Resistant, couldn't they? smile

G
I would only be concerned with dampness if this was outdoors.
A cabana should not be any wetter than a bathroom in the house.
These days, if you have an outdoor GFCI, I would use a dead front under a snap cover and use separate WR receptacles under the in use covers. Personally I only use "in use" covers in places that will have cords plugged in unattended at my house and "come and get me copper" but my house is old enough that I could say it was existing when the universal in use cover rule was imposed.
I do still have the in use cover on the new outdoor receptacle I put in with my addition but it is under cover and doesn't really get that wet.

Greg Fretwell
G
Hey Fretwell, This only proves what I suspected all along your a rebel. Ha Ha Ha

George Little
G
Yeah, I even used some unlisted, home made, Stainless Steel RNC straps on my boat lift (after the Carlon man told me U/V protection was not in the listing standard so they didn't use it).
I'm a wild man, you can't stop me wink

Greg Fretwell
M
Hotline
Another little NEC CECA difference is revealed.
Accessory buildings associated with a Dwelling unit are subject to the rules of a dwelling unit. So the poolroom of an apartment building is not but the pool house of a house is.
No outlets are required at sinks of commercial buildings in the washrooms but they are required at the sink of all washrooms in house and the outbuildings too.
Of course you probably could not build a pool house and pool on a property that did not also have a house on it either. We judge these according to the legal descriptions of the property or structure. A live work occupancy might be considered as a commercial/residential property.

Mikesh:
Yes, there are differences on either side of the dividing line.

IMHO, a GFI receptacle should be installed in Niko's situation, but as I said, by the letter of the NEC, it's not required. That, again in my opinion is a poor design choice.

Personally, I have not had any instances (as EC or AHJ) of any pool cabanas/houses not having a GFI at the vanity/sink.

We also do not require (NEC) GFI receptacles within restrooms of comm structures; but if they are installed by design, they must be GFI.

Pool clubs, HOA pool structures for the most part have GFI receptacles in the restrooms/locker rooms. We (NJ) do a mandatory annual comm pool inspection, which includes checking GFIs and pool bonding.

John
Cat Servant
I haven't seen a discussion like this one, that so clearly illustrates the difference between 'design' and 'code,' in a very long time.

There are many tangents to follow: the proper role of codes, the concept of 'code minimum,' and - perhaps most important - making the customer understand the value your proper design choices -down to the materials you select- add to the job.

This detached pool house is a case in point. While 'code' may not require receptacles either inside or outside the structure, I have to think pretty hard to imagine a situation where a couple receptacles would not come in handy. I mean ... do we really want to have to run 200ft. of cord to power the hedge clippers?

In practical terms - and you'll not find any mention of this in any codebook - I'd have to look at the bathroom and ask: are folks likely to be changing clothes in here? If they are, then there will likely be a desire to use a hair dryer- so a receptacle would make sense.

We also tend to assume that the building will also shelter the pool machinery. While a reasonable guess, I have seen such 'cabanas' that had no power at all (and only cold water showers). I can't, in good conscience, insist on the effort that bringing power to the hut would entail.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard