ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
I suspect there is a lot of unrecognized damage from the original quake and the aftershock pushes it over the edge.
That is why inspection is so important before they let people go back in these buildings.

Greg Fretwell
S
Man,

Sound like things are busy in Christchurch

Hang in there Trumpy

~S~

R
The depth of the earthquake from last week was a lot shallower.
About 5 km below the surface as the September 2010 one was 10 km or even deeper in ground.
Of course some buildings may have had weekend foundations which may have added to the carnage.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
G
I got this from our friend in Christchurch NZ
(happy he is OK)

although a smaller EQ than Sept ( 6.3 vs 7.0 ) BUT the epicenter is very shallow, much ,much closer to the city centre ( only 6 miles or so) and arrives in the city amplified by the volcanic rock that it originated in ( different earth substructure than Sept)

See the NZHerald.co.nz and stuff.co.nz websites

The devastation is huge. I was driving with my wife and thought the rear wheel was coming off the car. I drop her back to her school and head to work.. An overbridge gives me a view of the central city - I see a massive dust cloud and immediately know we have not escaped casualties this time. My 10 minute journey takes 40 or 50 minutes - streets are damaged, river bridges down and the roads full of cars. Aftershocks rock the car as I sit in traffic.

The eastern side of town, where we are , is smashed. Our building is fine , my staff fine but shaken.

The days that follow are a blur.

EQ was 10 to 1 Tuesday - 5.30pm Wed we get power back so can offer emergency service and meds to people ( I did this on Wed, without power - handwritten pharmacy labels will be a historic quirk smile )

Phones are OK Wed till midday but stop working until midday Thursday. Our roads are jammed - the bridge at the end of our street is one of few standing. Our local doctors are doing their rounds on pushbike.

We have no potable water ( OK, I live rurally so bring bottles of fresh water in) , no sewerage ( portaloo arrives tomorrow, hopefully) and internet just came up late yesterday - hence our lack of response.

I have been assisting our pharmacy wholesaler re-locate - this is a vast undertaking, made necessary by building damage and the fact that the building is inside the CBD cordon. I've gotten persuasively good at talking my way past the police/Army cordon

I've not seen the US based USAR ( Urban Search and Rescue ) teams on the ground here, but they are here and we are grateful.

Greg Fretwell
Evidently there's been another shaker down in Kiwi Land.... Mike & RODALCO... U guys ok???

NZ Quake...

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard