ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#195947 09/01/10 10:22 AM
evad73 Offline OP
How does one get out of the union? I've tried, any ideas?

evad73 #195948 09/01/10 10:56 AM
N
Originally Posted by evad73

Withdrawal card???

NORCAL #195951 09/01/10 11:43 AM
Cat Servant
Just a note of caution: ECN really isn't interested in getting tied up in any manner of debate regarding unions in general. You can be sure this thread will b vry closely monitored.

Leaving a union is as simple as leaving the job. If you happen to work in one of those rare places where union membership is optional, your employers' human resourceses department can tell you what is necessary.

As you might guess, Unions are not in the business of losing members. Closely examine the impact your action will have on your medical benfits, pension benefits, etc., before you make the jump. You may also be required to obtain some other form of credentials - a 'union card' is only good for union members.

renosteinke #195957 09/01/10 03:40 PM
G
I agree; there are 2 sides of the Union vs. non-Union debate and this isn't the place to delve into them.

Suffice to say that there probably is a mechanism for leaving a Union, but remember that they will always help you to join and be much less helpful helping you to leave.

I would seem to me that there has to be a way. After all, what would they do if you stopped paying the dues? Keep you on for life (for free) or would they kick you out?

Ghost307
ghost307 #195958 09/01/10 06:48 PM
Cat Servant
Union members often stop paying their dues and just 'fall out of site.' There are many reasons for this, but a change of employment is the most common.

If the member continues to pay dues, even if he's not working, he can -usually- maintain his benefits. Otherwise, he gets a rude surprise at pension time.

Likewise, a union will often impose fines and other sanctions if the member has been 'working in the trade' outside a contract; nearly every form of employment apart from flipping burgrs is considered as 'working in the trade.'

It can quickly becom rather complicated; remember the role of seniority in the typical union structure.

When someone leaves a Union job, for any reason, it is usually best that they go to Union Hall and get a 'withdraw card.' This can help clarify matters later, should one ever again have to deal with that particular union.

Remember: the Union has absolutely NO hold on you personally, but they do control certain benefits and credentials. There is absolutely nothing to stop you from opening up your own shop, or working for a non-union shop ... but you can also be sure that the Union will not welcome you back should the times change - just like many other employers.

renosteinke #195959 09/01/10 06:55 PM
M
I am currently a Union member and have belonged to more than 1.
When I first moved to Victoria in 1980 the IBEW Union Business manager came out of his office after my 4th or fifth visit and told me that unless I had a family member in the local that i should stay out of the local office . I did.

mikesh #195961 09/01/10 08:26 PM
Tom Offline
You have a couple of choices. If you never want to go back, quit paying your dues. If you think you might want to go back, ask for an honorary withdrawl. I did option 2 a long time ago and eventually went back. My best advice is don't burn any bridges, take the honorary withdrawl, it won't cost you anything.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
evad73 #195973 09/02/10 04:35 AM
R
Originally Posted by evad73
Here's the abridged version of my resignation letter.

Member address
city, State, Zip
Phone

March 17, 2006

IBEW Local Union #xxx
Local address
Local city, State, Zip, Phone

Subject: Member Resignation IBEW#, Card#, State JW #

Dear Members,

I hereby request suspension until such time that related employment will not jeopardize my good standing with the Union.

I have not acted on, but have received offers from non-union shops, responding to an online resume required by my state Unemployment Department. Further, none of these shops have been willing to participate in a union salting option at this time. In order avoid one of several policy violation with my union working agreement, please accept my voluntary suspension in good standing.

Sincerely,

Member name
Card#

Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay.info
ramsy #195984 09/03/10 12:17 AM
Your local doesn't have any employment resources? I should think that they would have a primary interest in keeping members employed. But maybe I'm straying into the darker side of things...

Our union is all about work referral; in fact, it's one of the main ways to get in with our local. But then again, I'm in an industry and area where there are very few traditional "shops" where one can apply for employment and then be accepted into the union.

noderaser #196339 09/27/10 02:20 PM
J
I thought we were not allowed to discuss this here? Thats what I got from Post #2 and the poster #2 carries on?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard