ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#195668 08/17/10 02:34 PM
Has anybody received any phone calls regarding installation of power for any electric vechicle chargers??

I fielded at least three 'inquiries' as to permit fees within the last 1-1/2 weeks.

John
G
If this is a U/L listed charger, what would the problem be? Just install per the manufacturer's instructions wink

There was an article about this in the magazine a year or so ago but it was aimed at Canada. I guess metric electrons flow the same way.
http://www.iaei.org/magazine/?p=4534

You should be able to coordinate this with NEC art 625

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
I'm leading to the 'questions' end here; not the install.

Wondering if there's a bunch of 'pre-ordered' 'lectric cars coming soon?

John
Nissan is ready to roll out an all-electric car with a 100-mile range, the Leaf.

They're setting up a national network of electrical installers so that a custome can be referred to a contractor in the network to have a charger installed.

Aerovironment in Monrovia, CA (LA area) is setting up the installers network. They'll train the installers and do quality assurance followup, but the installer is an independent contractor.

AS I recall, as an installer, you have to be set up to respond to inquiries w/in 24 hours, and do the install within 3 days of inking a contract, weekends included.

It looks like a good approach to ensure the success of the car. I mean, if the charger doesn't work, the car don't go. And people who want the car don't want to have to shop around for an installer and wait 2-3 weeks for an install.

Cliff

OK, could have been the NJ version of Aerovironment shopping for permit fees.

Welcome to ECN Forums SactoCliff!!!

John
G
This looks like it could be a can of worms. If the house has a couple of empty slots in the panel and the panel is in the garage it is easy. If you find some yuppie in an historic house with a 100a split bus panel on the other end of the house from the driveway and a preservation law in place, you probably won't hit that 72 hour bogie.

Greg Fretwell
John, glad to be here!

Greg, it appears that Aerovironment (AV) is being realistic about the charger installation cost...I recall that the cost of the charger installed at $2200 with $780 of that the cost of the charger.

I appppreciate the fact that AV and Nissan are stressing that a licensed electrician/electrical contractor will do the work. See the video: http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/index#/leaf-electric-car/video/view/charging

Of course, Nissan has a big stake in having the charger work!

Aerovironment is a cool company; they make the Predator and Reaper drones. The Reaper (as in Grim Reaper) is one very scary machine...

The guy who founded AV, Paul McCready, was the top guy in human-powered flight--Gossamer Condor and Gossamer Albatross.

Cliff

G
It sure sounds interesting if these cars take off. Do you know what the electrical requirements are?
How much of that $1420 goes to the sparky?

Greg Fretwell
This could also be interesting IF the "Leaf' or a similar jump into the 'fleet' markets, or the 'pool cars'.

My Twp (Edison) jumped on the hybrid bandwagon two years ago, Prius, Escape, & Civic hybrids replacements for the usual 'Big Three' guzzlers.

I'm curious as to the charger requirements also.

John
S
Round trip fom my house to work is 90 miles, up and over a mountain pass, speed limits of 60 to 75 mph (something like 90-110 kph without doing the conversion).

My thoughts are, if it got me to work and back home the first year, would it be able to the second year? At what speed? Is it built so light that a accident involving a deer would mean my demise also? How is its handling in the snow? What is the range when things are cold or even just below freezing? What is the Rance if you have more than one adult in the vehicle? How many KW-Hrs charging for just one trip? With storage cell aging, does this figure go up? How long will the storage cell last when sitting at 50% charge in temperatures that can average 0 degrees F (-18 degrees C, or 255 degrees K)for weeks while waiting for me to get off work? What is it's total cost over its life (note: my 93 Altima has 272,000 miles on it and the S-10 Blazer I sold years ago cost me less than $500 per year in all maintenance and depreciation while getting a low of 19 mpg)?

When I retire to Florida, maybe. For now, I'll enjoy the carpool until there is a bus and then only if it is cost efficient.

I am sorry for being cynical. But they could sell me me with solid numbers addressing all my concerns.

Shane

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard