ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#195490 08/05/10 10:53 PM
G
To make a long story short there was a lightning strike and a fire from some CSST gas line.
The fire investigators removed part of the bond wire and now I need to reconnect it. I can not run back to the electrical service so I need to splice the wire. It is #6 bare solid copper. Am I restricted to a non reversible splice as a ground wire to a ground rod would be or can I use any type of splice?
The irony is I was required to install the bond wire when I wired the house but everyone including the fire inspectors agree that the fire would not have happened if the bond wire was not installed. The lighting followed the wire to the gas pipe.

Thanks
George Skinner

G
Any listed splicing method should meet the requirements of 250.104(B).
If you have some local requirement beyond that, coordinate with the AHJ.

Greg Fretwell
G
From reading that section it does not specify any splicing method.

G
Exactly, so that kicks you back to 110.14(B)
(B) Splices. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a fusible metal or alloy. Soldered splices shall first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder and then be soldered. All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an insulating device identified for the purpose.
Wire connectors or splicing means installed on conductors for direct burial shall be listed for such use.

Greg Fretwell
C
was the gas bond in series with the ufer or rod, I ve always thought the pipe bonds should be supplemental, and not the shortest path to earth. I do solar in n. california and we always have to run a gec from our system to the main gec, but sometimes the path is quite long and I've wondered where lightning current might actually go?

G
The gas bond was a separate wire from the gas pipe directly back to the service panel ground. It is about 60 to 70ft long as the gas pipe enters at the opposite end of the house.

Back to my question, does the splice need to be non reversible?

Thanks

G
I say no. It is just a bond wire and you can use any listed splicing device like a split bolt.

Greg Fretwell
M
Since this is posted in the general subjects area I will offer the Canadian Code answer.
Bonding may be done with any approved connector, Including split bolts, marretts, 2 lugs and a bolt. Crimp or thermit welding and brazing are OK but not required.
Note that the CEC does not allow solder as a connecting material on bonding wires.
Ground wires cannot use split bolts or other removable connections.
So in Canada the bonding wire to the gas pipe can be spliced in any approved manner which I believe is consistent with the NEC.

Last edited by mikesh; 08/06/10 02:54 PM.
I agee with Greg, and most of what Mikesh "up north' said, except for "marretts" as I have no idea what that is.

John
M
Sorry, Marrettes are wire nuts made by Marr. It is like saying Kleenex to describe tissue for blowing your nose. You know the coiled spring in an insulated plastic cone that is used to splice wires. Funny how we call Romex, Loomex. For the last 10 years on the tools I always used wire connectors made by Ideal Industries so why don't I call wire nuts Ideals?
Of course there are not too many wire nut companies that make one for 2 number 6 wires.

Originally Posted by HotLine1
I agee with Greg, and most of what Mikesh "up north' said, except for "marretts" as I have no idea what that is.

Last edited by mikesh; 08/06/10 06:03 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard