ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1 - I'm not looking to slam Home Inspectors here. I would like is to see input from any that might be amongst us.

I think that Home Inspection itself is a good idea as a compromise between having everything thoroughly inspected by multiple trades or nothing at all. With that said, what should be inspected and to what degree? Are there any guidelines anywhere?

I know that many areas may have no qualifications to be met for a person engaging in Home Inspection. What do you think should be required? (what would be reasonable?)

How can we coexist or work together?
No Horror stories please!

Bill

Bill
Bill:
Horror stories aside....my thoughts..
NJ currently has no lic requirements for Home Inspectors. You need an ad in the phonebook, or a contact with a realtor or lawyer, the ability to write (?), some paper, and you're in.

Yes, we have some "pros" that do a good job, and they are unhappy with the regs also.

THe State is "working" on some type of guidelines.

BTW, some towns require a "CCO" (Continued Certificate of Occupancy) for resi that is changing ownership. It can be a good idea, as the various AHJ's that perform regular inspections do the CCO's in some towns.

All our AHJ's have State Licenses, and utilize the Uniform Construction Code.

IMHO, how many individuals are capable of learning & maintaining current knowledge of all the "codes" that are involved with a resi structure. (Elec., Plumb, Fire, Building, Etc)

Boy, this subject can take a bunch of twists & turns.....If I'm rambling...'scuse me. I have no axe to grind, just that a consumer should "get what they pay for" (The "real serious" horror stories are waiting)

Happy New Year
John

John
John,

Thanks, I have seen too many instances where no inspection was done by anyone and truly feel sorry for the new buyers and their "Money Pit". Inspections where something was missed are another story and proper (reasonable) training/qualifcations should cut down on serious problems being missed.

How much should they know? I don't know the answer. Is the main purpose of the Home Inspection for Safety reasons, or to more accurately gauge the value of the property being sold?

Bill

Bill
H
Bill,

I have to agree with John, 100% because I too am an AHJ in NJ and I have seen home inspectors who are good and some that don't know the difference between aluminun and copper wire. I was in my own business for 15 years and I was called out many times to defend a house. ( Even if the house needed work, I only commented on the work that I inspected.)

Harold

B
Bill,

First, my quals (or lack thereof). I am a GC (15 years), licensed electrician (12 years), home inspector and pest inspector (3 years). I am certified by the ICC. I have also been a real estate agent and broker. I, also, will not do any work on a home I inspected or inspect a home that I have worked on for at least one year after the inspection or the work.

Now I get real riled when I see an inspector ask a question that I see an electrician, home owner or contractor ask and get slammed where the electrician, GC or homeowner received TLC.

I feel that we need to accept the fact that all of the trades (electricians, plumbers, drywallers, framers and inspectors) need to educate each other as to when to call in the pro and quit demeaning each other.

Part of the problem is that in the HI industry, several HI Associations (predominately ASHI and NAHI)are trying to run everybody else out. They push for legislation that will only recognize them, this includes not accepting the certifications of the ICC (the guys who write the codes). This creates a lot of animosity and fragmentation in the HI industry. Another part is that the National Association of Realtors wants to control the HI's (creating a big conflict of interest). Another problem is that the older trades (electricians in particular) don't like the new kid on the block and sometimes go out of their way to show it.

Many HI's want to do the right thing and spend a lot of money and time trying to learn whats right. These folks we need to reach out and help. Teach them what to look for so that they can be of assistance in protecting the public. Not teach them to be electricians, but TEACH THEM WHEN THEY NEED TO CALL THE PROS. Answer their questions and guide them, not demean them.
The other thing that needs to be done is provide support when they are trying to get the AHJ to pass appropriate legislation for licensing and keep them out of control of the state real estate commissions. The ones who don't try and learn, well.., the courts and lawyers will eventually take care of them.

As in all endeavors, there are the good, the bad and the idiots.

BTW, these are my feelings and are not a reflection or opinion of anybody or anything else, living dead or unborn (Got to get that disclaimer in there).

Hotline1
There are a lot of AHJ's out there who stay current on all aspects of residential construction, why are they different than a home inspector that takes the time and money to learn and stay informed? I spend about 40 hours a year in formal continuing education and many more in just being nosey and asking questions.

Bob

Many HI's want to do the right thing and spend a lot of money and time trying to learn whats right. These folks we need to reach out and help. Teach them what to look for so that they can be of assistance in protecting the public. Not teach them to be electricians, but TEACH THEM WHEN THEY NEED TO CALL THE PROS. Answer their questions and guide them, not demean them.
Bob,

I agree with your sentiments here. Home Inspection is a necessary service. In my opinion, the fact that someone is seeking knowledge to do their job better should be seen as an opportunity for discussion and collaboration. There should be a way that we can work together to our mutual benefit.

My thoughts are, that maybe through a little discussion, some of the problems and misunderstandings that often come up can be dissolved.

Bill

Bill
N
Unfortunatly I have yet to see a home inspector worth $0.01. Since the ones in this area do not have to have any experience, i have too many horror stories.
The one the realators use here are the one that give the agent the report the agent or bank wants-- the H*** with the house condition really is. I have seen this way too many times.
I wish the state would require licensing. Then maybe we would see honest inspectors. There maybe be some of the honest ones here but I have not seen them yet. Since I do not suffer fools and con artists at all, I doubt I will ever get along with them. [Linked Image]

ed
nesparky,

Unfortunately, the good and the bad can be found in all occupations. I agree that in areas where no regulation or requirements exist things can be pretty bad sometimes, but this should eventually improve. IMO, we've got to respect any person that seeks the knowledge to do their job better.

Bill

Bill
R
It has been my experience that most home inspectors take a cursory inspection of the electrical & mechanical systems and, in the event that something seems amiss, they recommend a professional assessment.

S
I sense frustration.....from the real HI's , echoing the real electricians here.......

On my turf, inspectors are as scarce as nats in a windstorm, so we consider ANY authority
(or those whom are seen as authority)
as a blessing, however disguised.

I can't see how any one individual could assume the finer points of all trades, yet i can imagine those trades being solicited for the finer points, so i'm all for working with them whenever possible.

Part of the solution is the ugly L term, 'liability' , i say this not to be confrontational, it applies to the EC as well as any other trade.

This then , thru consitent litigation ( which has been the case here) provides fodder for legislation

Poor motivation maybe, but the reality is that one needs to take the fall for the call on his/her own 2 feet , as opposed to hiding behind whatever realtor consortium's BS.

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 12-30-2002).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard