ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 521 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ChicoC10 #195390 07/29/10 11:20 PM
G
Around here it is the opposite. Rats chew into the attic duct work to air condition their den.

Greg Fretwell
noderaser #195400 07/30/10 04:36 AM
Noderaser; My mother in law, [clumsy lump] trod on my wife's pet rabbit's head and permanently distorted it's teeth. Denise used to trim them back every fortnight with a pair of sturdy nail clippers! shocked Yikes! [ex veterinary's assistant]. I used to go hide in my shed. Something about the sound of teeth snapping off kinda gave me the willies.

Chico; I think you're right about the warmth of cables. The mice here flooded our kitchen twice in quick succession, by chewing through the plastic water pipes within weeks of us moving in to this end of the house. They only attack the hot water pipes. Since all the plumbing was behind the sheetrock, this was a real pita. I moved the lot outboard of the sheetrock, but every access I opened in bathrooms, toilets, kitchen etc. had the hot pipes gnawed, through the foam lagging as well. Killed 21 of the beggars with mousetraps and, touch wood, no more problems. So, if rodents are about they will target overloaded wiring?

Wood work but can't!
Alan Belson #195407 07/31/10 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by Alan Belson
So, if rodents are about they will target overloaded wiring?

Hmmm, maybe we can market this as a diagnostic tool; release a dozen or so mice/rats into someone's house, and assume the cables they chew through first are overloaded circuits. Bill accordingly, subcontract extermination.

Just trying to think about what kind of sound cutting teeth makes like gives me the shivers. I had a particularly bad experience when I had my wisdom teeth extracted; was supposed to be sedated but the anesthetic wore off and I woke up to the mechanical grinding of teeth and jawbone. Still have nightmares about that one.

noderaser #195411 07/31/10 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by noderaser

Hmmm, maybe we can market this as a diagnostic tool; release a dozen or so mice/rats into someone's house, and assume the cables they chew through first are overloaded circuits. Bill accordingly, subcontract extermination.

You could get your own taskforce of rodent exterminators.
However, frequent replacement of the diagnostics equipment could eat into your bottom line.

Hmmm, mice and cats in the same work vehicle may not work out that well. whistle

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard