ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#195248 07/21/10 09:42 PM
W
wewire2 Offline OP
Is there a code provision that prevents the use of a 3R pullbox to enclose a 480V. 3 pole contactor? I need to order this ASAP and can't find anything on it.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Y
Is this being used also as a pull box?? Or just a 3 R junction box being used to enclose the Contactor?? If its the latter then I;d say its done all the time.

Cat Servant
I've done it as a mater of routine .... but some folks have run into issues with their AHJ - who wants a hinged door.

IMO, there's no code issue, and trying to apply 'listing and labeling' is quite a stretch. Heck, I've even had folks object to cutting holes in the boxes, rather than using the factory KO's. Go figure.

As Reno said, it's routine. Contactors/relays in NEMA1 are also routine (in compliant locations) as using any other enclosure.

Could the issue be the 'opinion' that the complete assembly is not 'listed/labeled'? Or could there be an issue with conductor volume, or bend radius?

John
W
wewire2 Offline OP
It's just that I had an inspector in the LA area tell me I couldn't enclose a contactor in a pull box because the box wasn't listed for that use. It was a long time ago and I never did find the code section. I guess it doesn't exist.
Thanks for the help!

OK, try this scenario...

Enclosure has a UL label/listing as a pull or junction box, based on the UL White Book? If that is/was the case then by the 'book' he's technically correct.

Did the enclosure you used have a backplate? Mounting studs?

Did you have a Sq D (or other mfg) that has a 'factory' enclosure in their catalog?

From your last post, sounds like that AHJ may have had a UL White Book with him

John
W
wewire2 Offline OP
It was just a regular pull box with the contactor mounted using tech screws. I see what you're getting at though. If there is a specific box made for that contactor then it seems
reasonable that the inspector would want the approved box to be used. In this case I'm looking at a 5 day lead time if I want it in a specialized contactor box. Uhggg!!

We:

"mounted using tech screws" ??

That could have been a factor.

John
W
wewire2 Offline OP
I have one of those Greenlee tap kits now. Boy those are sure nice with the all in one drill and tap.

G
What is the code issue with tek screws?

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard