ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
I think the market for "15A chipped" extension cords and adaprets would skyrocket.

Vote me on the scam side of this one. Sweet for him if he can sell it and license a half billion plug caps and receptacles tho.

Personally I just see it as one more thing to break.

Greg Fretwell
N
Originally Posted by HotLine1
NJwirenut:
I think 'scam' is a little harsh.

I don't. Particularly in regards to the "environmental" angle.

Adopting such a system would relegate all existing receptacles and cordcaps (and countless entire appliances) to the landfills, at a time when we are already dealing with a growing tide of so-called "E-waste".

Putting an electronic RFID reader and current transducer in every receptacle outlet represents a HUGE increase in so-called "Phantom Load". There is already enough of an issue with the dozens of "wall warts" and unused chargers that people leave plugged in and powered up 24/7. When dozens of tiny "energy suckers" are permanently wired into your building, there will be no way to stop the energy waste short of opening the main breaker!

This is yet another attempt to cash in while promoting the idea that you can "consume your way out of overconsumption". More electronic junk to be produced (with the attendant "carbon footprint"), with no safety benefit that couldn't be achieved by putting fuses in the attachment plug like the Brits do. Plus you end up with a system that allows utility companies and/or government agencies the ability to control your electrical usage remotely. I can see the communication protocols for these things being cracked and posted to the 'net within days of introduction, so that every computer prankster can play an exciting game of "Let's Reboot the Neighborhood".

And then there's the whole issue of wrapping up our electrical system in a layer of proprietary, closed source, patented, and licensed technology so that a handful of companies can cash in on it.

Just one more example of "Defective by Design" if you ask me...

N
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I think the market for "15A chipped" extension cords and adapters would skyrocket.

Absolutely. At which point any possible safety benefit goes right down the toilet.

NJ:
I agree with your points, as well as the other members about this item. The angle of creating additional electronis trash didn't enter the picture that I was looking at!

I can't forsee (IF this item ever was mandatory via the NEC) someone moving into a new resi & their appliances not 'working' due to this technology. Or someone doing a renovation and having the same results.

I cannot see the NFPA code panels accepting or requiring this technology, as well as the other device within another thread here.

Yes, the presentation 'sounds good' but snake oil pitches sound interesting also.

John
G
I cannot see the NFPA code panels accepting or requiring this technology, as well as the other device within another thread here.

I would have said the same thing about the universal requirement for AFCIs 20 years ago. Who knows? It might be part of the "carbon" law

Greg Fretwell
So I have to look forward to new 'smart' appliances? Who has the patent on the adaptors?? That guy in the video better keep an eye on the copy cats on the other side of the Pacific!

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard