ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
John, I'm sorry I didn't understand your reply. My meaning was that I couldn't do it without getting a permit. There was already a building permit pulled for the job, and since the inspection department wasn't going to allow the type of wiring he wanted done without getting his original permit changed to one that included living quarters, I couldn't do it the way he wanted to. Now when he comes back from vacation, and wants to re-classify his permit, then I would consider it. Probably just a matter of miscommunications here. Thanks....
The reason I mentioned sq.ft. pricing is that when I first went full time in my business, I had to sub contract from another electrical contractor. That was way back in 2000 before a lot of code changes. I was doing a few houses and apartments at $ 1.65 to $ 1.75 a square ft. And no I wasn't making much money. I figured it up at the time, and I would come out making around $ 25.00 to $ 27.00 an hour. Not enough to run a business on, but it was better than nothing at the time. That's one reason I don't go out of my way to do new houses. It is so competitive here, it's not worth it to me. A lot of hard work for barely nothing.
I am getting a little smarter the older I get. Thanks again:)

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
SparkyNC:
No problem, I understand ya now.

Conversions of garages/basements etc., without the required permits here happens, and occasionally a Lic EC was involved.

John
G
Does anyone ever get a permit when they finish their basement? wink

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Not to put too fine a point on it, but there's "finishing a basement" and FINISHING a basement.

When I was five, we had a 'finished basement.' That is, we put whitewash on the walls, threw down an old rug, and set up a card table. During various get-togethers, the water heater, duct work and sewer pipes provided plenty of convenient places to set drinks, etc.

Today, my folks have another 'finished basement.' This one required sewer tie-ins for the various sinks and bathrooms they added. The HVAC had to be altered. Bedrooms were added.

I think most homeowners can figure out that when you're remodeling to that extent, a permit is probably needed. Following "Holmes on Homes," a common thread in botched jobs is that the contractor claims that no permit is needed.

While we can't speak for the homeowner, as contractors we're supposed to know better. In Reno, the rule was that more than a 10 ft. run needed a permit.

Do code rules / code enforcement improve things? I have my doubts. When a neighbor in Reno discovered that adding bedrooms in his basement required additional exits, etc., the job got 'cancelled.' In reality, the job got moved from the market of legitimate contractors to the market of itinerent handymen.

This neighbor is a good example of a certain mindset. Well up the seniority ladder in one of Reno's rare union-scale jobs, he makes more than most professionals in that town - yet, he is convinced that everyone else 'charges too much.'
He makes $65/hr, pluse benes ... and he consideres a $25/hr, no benefits journeyman to be overpaid? A $90/hr shop rate too much?

This man drives a truck, and he believes that makes him smart enough to fix cars, build houses, etc., ... with no need to bother with first learning those trades. And, should Mike Holmes show up, he'll be the loudest to proclaim that someone else steered him wrong.

With folks like this neighbor in mind, I believe that a lot of folks who complain they were taken advantage of had actually forced the situation on themselves.

Tell me your end goal, pay my bill, stay out of the way. It's not that hard.

G
Most of the basement "finishing" I saw growing up were incremental projects over a period of years. Each one probably seemed too trivial to require a permit but the overall result was.

Greg Fretwell
L
My main reason for this type of permit:
1) my liability ins.
2) the HO home insurance,
If something were to happen,try to collect the extra 10/15K on the finished space if no one knew about it.

leland #194989 07/04/10 12:56 PM
G
In Florida, the only one who can really get in trouble for unpermitted activity is a licensed trade. That is a warning to guys who just want to "help out a buddy".

Greg Fretwell
L
Friends I got- money I don't.

Cops also are just 'revenue' enhancement officers.
Who may run into a bunch of poop real fast.
I respect that. But keep me safe and my money in my pocket.

CYA- is the order of the day. For both.

leland #195000 07/05/10 05:15 PM
The 'finished basement' situation recently has reared it head, during re-sales SFDs. A Notice of Violation for non-permitted, non-inspected work is issued to the HO with a $500 to $2000 fine levied. We refer them 'as-builts' when the HO comes in for the permits required to bring the property records up to date. A 'sketch' of the floor plan, a water and sanitary riser diagram (if plumbing installed). A sketch of the lighting/recept layout is also submitted.

The inspection process is 'visual' basically, and IF any major violations/safety issues are observed, wall opening, etc., will be required.

Usually, the 'unknown' persons who did the work are not discovered, the HO pay the fines and permit fees, and on occasion have to hire Lic professionals to make required corrections.

PS: This is one of my 'favorites' when the HO who is selling, chimes in " I'm closing on Friday, could you expedite the permits??"

John
J
i agree with Tesla, square ft pricing just doesnt work for Electrical, If you were Framing this project that square ft pricing would apply

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard