ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#192162 01/30/10 11:42 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
This has probably been said & done here, but i'm a tad slow with the search function.

I'd like to take an on-line CEU course, but have zero knowledge of them , other than what my state will accept (pdf below)

PDF

Are any of these any good? Are there some to stay away from? I haven't a clue where to start, so perhaps any of you that have gone down this road could spare a little advice.

Change ain't easy for us dinosaurs.....~S~

sparky #192168 01/30/10 02:20 PM
G
I have used Red Vector. It is OK, nothing special. You can go through them pretty fast and even though they say this is a timed course, if you end early they still give you the CEUs. You can test out of the courses if you already know the topic.
It all depends if you actually want to learn something or just get your ticket punched.

Greg Fretwell
H
Sparky,
There are many thorough courses in your list. The reason I like Mike Holt is that I feel that I have been required to learn the material. If you want a quick, just for the credit course, but a minimum of learning, his courses are not the right choice. Like many other instructors, Mike has more code knowledge than most electricians, because he works with the code on a daily basis. I cannot remember in all the years of reading EC&M magazine that he has had an incorrect answer to a code question. Good luck in your search!

homer #192182 01/31/10 10:17 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
hhmmm, well i think my biggest concern is not being able to ask a question via these on line courses i see

i could be wrong, just started investigating...

~S~

sparky #192186 01/31/10 03:34 PM
G
I had a question with Red Vector and it took the course author over a week to actually get back to me (I got some "we are looking into it" messages right away) but it was really pointing out a problem with the course, not a quest for knowledge.

I find I can get answers faster online in these BBs. The IAEI BB is really good if you want the sense of what my Florida AHJs are thinking. After all, what the code says is really what the AHJ says it says.

Greg Fretwell
S
sparky Offline OP
well i guess it only fair i report back here.

after some consideration and research, i chose Mike Holtz

i needed the 'New Hampsire' addendum course, in conjucntion with the code update course, and it seemed that they were the most accomodating

they also 'electronically submit' the course completion certificate, which i guess many states are requiring now

no more snail mailing them......?

Anyways, Mike puts on a neat little course. I did the whole thing every morning for about an hour. It's rather convienent to be able to log on/off anytime duty calls

and the course actually goes right on up through Chap 9, tables !

i mean, how many updates do we attend where all of us argue so much , the instructor never really makes it past Chap 3, save for cursory 'sunday afternoon shut up & listen' quickies?

plus, one can simply stop at any time in the on line course, and take as much time as one wishes to mull over any given update issue

the only critique i would forward is the quizzes have this function where one gets a 'second shot' at wrong questions

so it's relatively easy for one to achieve a perfect score

anywho, & overall, being a newbie at this, i'm impressed

~S~

sparky #194847 06/27/10 07:34 PM
~s~:Nice to hear you're kinda happy with Mike!We can't do online CEU's here (NJ) yes, perhaps someday soon....

John
HotLine1 #194850 06/27/10 11:43 PM
S
In NC, we are required to attend 4 hours of classroom and 4 hours of correspondence. Online would be nice.

K
Well, my first online seminar experience was for the 2002 code. I got a flyer in the mail from the NFPA for the code course, which included approved CEU credits required for license renewal here
The flyer said the course was $140.00, so I sent in my check, took the online seminar and then got a call about a week later telling me that there was a misprint on the flyer and that the course was actually $440.00.
I said that there was no way the course was worth $440.00 and I never would of taken it at that price.

So I basically wasted my time and $140.00 taking that online seminar, didn’t get the CEU’s, and ended up having to take the seminar again at a local facility anyway, for $149.00, but at least that included coffee and donuts.
It’s one thing to get burned, but getting burned by the NFPA? That’s like getting burned by your own mother. smile

KJay #194857 06/28/10 07:53 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
if mom's Cruella Deville KJay, just chuck all that nfpa stuff.

so, i hear a dz states require electronic submission via a 3rd party (the course provider)

and now NH wants a mug shot

i guess the worlds getting less trusting, yet i question thinking e-mail secure here .....

~S~

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard