ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
This question is bouncing around the IAEI BB.
The way the Florida code is written it looks like the exemption for permitting and licensing for utility employees like the Telco and Cable company may not extend to satellite installers. This appears particularly relevant to contract workers, maybe even a contractor working for a telco.

Has this come up anywhere else?

Greg Fretwell
K
That’s the first I’ve heard of it.
Might not be such a bad idea though to require permits for SAT installs. I don't know if they even have any training for those guys, like many in-house telco and CATV installers get.

G
This guy was a wizard about setting up the box and using all the dozens of setup options but he had never heard of bonding his little ground rod to the service and was ignorant of keeping his grounding lead straight. He had a loop in it. Nice and neat along with the lead in wire. After he left I fixed all of the grounding and drove a real rod. I had already run the wire back to the service but he didn't know what to do with it.

Greg Fretwell
Sat dishes (resi) basically go the way of cable & telco. They are considered a 'utility', up to the demarc, but there is no 'push' on SFDs.

The exception arises in multi family dwellings and rated walls/ceilings. Multi family require a permit & inspections.

Dishes on comm have a >18" diameter permit required & it's a tough enforcement.

I just received an email regarding the State Lottery & sat dishes they have a contractor installing. Basically it says that if rated walls/ceilings are penetrated, inspections are required & they fessed up that a lot are already completed w/o permits. Another trunk slammer to chase??

John
G
The Fl IAEI guys figured out that the way our law is written, the exception for cable guys does not extend to satellite guys and telco "contractors" may not be exempted either.
I assume it was just an oversight since the law was written before DSS was that popular and everyone installing phones was a telco employee.
It really looks like the last markup of this law was written by a cable company lobbyist. wink

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard