ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 287 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
wa2ise Offline OP
LA Times article on bad electrical safety in Vietnam But probably typical of the third world.

W
I visited Vietnam a couple of years ago and that utility pole is typical. In fact I have some photos of poles worse than that. I used ATM's in Hanoi, Hue, and Saigon and had no problems. Was I lucky or is that incident a one off?
Outlets were generally a dual 2 pin type that could accept US or euro type plugs. Interestingly in the ex presidential palace in Saigon there were 3 pin versions.
The fridge in my hotel room had a moulded schulko plug in a 2 pin socket. Obviously I was aware of the possible danger and was glad the room had a wooden floor. Even if a 3 pin socket was fitted I would not have confidence that the earth pin was connected. However this does not only apply to Vietnam but much of the 3rd world and also to older installations in parts of Europe.

D
djk Offline
It applies in old US installations too! There are plenty of old-buildings around Boston with only 2-pin sockets and various odd DIY hacks using ground-adaptors or, unconnected grounding terminals!

I was in one house where the Washing Machine was plugged in with a ground adaptor that didn't actually connect the ground to anything!!

Yes, here in the US, in the 'older' areas of the large cities, and the 'older' dwellings in the countrysides are still 2 prong receptacles. The grounding adapters I've seen over the years mostly did nothing but look good. During renovations upgrades are normally done

John

Link Copied to Clipboard