ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#194833 06/24/10 05:58 PM
K
kale Offline OP
"Currently electric resistance heating is at the center of a proposal that would alter the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) making it very difficult or impossible to select electric resistance heating in new construction and for remodel/rebuild construction projects."
See http://www.supportelectricheating.com for details.

E
That is just crazy. If they really want to improve efficiency, they should start mandating electric heat and use the fossil fuels for power plants instead. This would be beneficial in two ways: One, fuel efficiency would be left to the professionals who run the plants instead of millions of gas/oil furnaces that are either inefficient or faulty. Additionally, by following this logic, electricity rates could actually be reduced since there would be an increase in demand.

Then of course, we have the obvious: It is a bit difficult to blow up a building or get killed by asphyxiation from malfunctioning electric heating. Yes, I'm a bit biased because I'm in the trade, but still.........

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
K
Around here, higher electric rates already made electric heat unattractive to the masses back in the early 1990’s, at least for new construction anyway. I might add a piece here and there for a bath remodel or small addition, but that is just about it.

There seemed to be a brief resurgence in interest about two years ago when oil and gas prices began climbing almost daily and it looked like they were going to stay high, but that seems to have passed, for the time being anyway. But with the storm that’s happening in the Gulf right now, along with the offshore drilling moratorium, all bets are off as to what will happen later this year.

Cat Servant
It's too easy to look at the world around you, and to assume that it's exactly the same everywhere else.

How you heat is a design decision, often decided by matters beyond your control. "One size fits all" rarely does.

I'll make my own choices, thank you.

T
For spot heating applications resistance is ideal.

The price mechanism should be relied upon to determine where and when it is used.

Additional government regulation is very bad economics.

It is ironic that Gore and Obama are very Green -- yet have, personally, huge carbon footprints.

As long as they can afford it -- I don't really care where or how they spend their money. That's what money is for.

But I must protest when 'do-betters' craft regulations for all of us that they have no intention of following themselves.

If a consumer wants resistance heating what business is it of the government to say he can't spend his money that way?

BTW, I like warm bathroom tile floors, de-icers for my gutters and hot-seat commodes. Their power consumption is trivial compared to my total energy use.

Tesla
G
This sounds like the "heat pump act of 2010". Ironically heat pumps need toaster wire heaters on real cold nights anyway.
Some of us do not have much else for an option.

Greg Fretwell
S
Thats abosolutley absurd given that electricity is 100% efficent. It should be the local juristdiction regulating that, not the codes. He in SE Alaska, we are mostly hydro. Electricity is dirt cheap here. We are currently building a large warehouse with all electric heat that will save us $$$ annually Its cheaper to heat and does 0 impact on the environment. I can see where if the POCO infrastructure is taxed, and fossil fuel power systems are providing powr but still, what options you have for cheap power? Heat pump at high install cost and fossil fuel. Sort of defeating the purpose of the intent. a POCO can get more kWh per unit of then the average home owner, meaning less impact on the enviornment. talking about losing site of the big picture

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
S
Just did some research. The proposal was dissaproved by the committee overseeing it

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
S
fwiw, there are BTU's per $ calcs....~S~

Thanks for that ~s~!!

John
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard