ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
~s~:

Nice shirt!!

John
S
Originally Posted by HotLine1
AlanN:
Welcome to ECN forums!!

Yes, there is conflict with the CSST mfg instructions, and areas of the respective codes. I posted an article from the NJ DCA (State) regarding CSST above in this thread.

Within your comments above, the 'iron pipe that enters the building' is the natural gas service? Is it all iron into the ground, or just iron for the metering equipment and point of entry? Reason I ask is most here is plastic in the streets, with metal for metering and distribution on the premise.

further on that Hotone, is that i've noted a number of gas line installs where the CSST is broken by iron pipe T's

so my Q would be, do these iron T's get bonded as well here?

if so, i do believe said bond would need to be accessible

so there's another potential problem (if bonding required) for say, closing up a job where the bonds may be

~S~

~s~:
AS per NEC, as I understand, The 'bonding' is thru the electrical appliances that the gas piping is connected to.

Based on that, the 'bond' throughout the piping system should be mechanically continuous, unless there are and non-metalic joints/connections/fittings. Agree??

John
S
well i'm confused Hotone

does the flex constitute mechanically continuos here?

~S~

A
As I mentioned confusion abounds.
The bond for the CSST at the point nearest entry into the building is for lightning.
The grounded wire to any gas appliance that also has electric, for motors, igniters, etc. provides the required bond for NEC purposes.
Bits or pieces of metal piping in the gas system, Tees, manifolds, fittings do not constitute a piping system and do not need to be bonded.
Usually the gas piping outside the building is not metal. That is another reason for not using the gas line as a grounding electrode.
Remember the CSST bond is for lightning, which can travel through the earth regardless of any metal pipe path.
Note; I was registered years ago, but re-registered when I changed computers.
Alan N. CEI-M # 138

S
Thanks Al

That clears it up for me

~S~

G
You also need to remember the "likely to become energized" language in 250.104(B). An isolated section of metal pipe that is nowhere near a source of electricity is not likely to become energized. That is where the AHJ ends up making the final call. It might be nice if there was more guidance on this but the NEC is the size of a small city phone book now wink

Greg Fretwell
OK, now I'm going to be confused like Sparky...
Lightning is one of the 'un-addressed' issues in my area of NJ. No, we are not 'lightning free', yes we do have thunderstorm activity, but it's kind of a back burner thing I guess.

The CSST IMHO has it's bonding per the DCA note above.

Last plac I remember seeing any kind of lightning protection was at two country clubs I worked at.

John
G
That is one thing about living in Florida. We are very aware of wind, water and lightning. It does take a lot of the mystery out of how folks up north have so much damage from a "freak" storm that is a regular occurrence here.
Lightning protection is not really that tough and you can survive direct hits, no matter what the urban legend says. The trick is directing all of that energy into the ground and stopping the shot going toward the house. A gas line is a particularly scary thing if it arcs across a section of plastic. That becomes a BIC lighter with an unlimited gas supply. You certainly want a bond where it enters the house and I would drive a rod there, even if it was just one of those 4' telco rods if I didn't have a pretty good length of metal pipe in the ground. ... but that is just me.

Greg Fretwell
H
John,

One of the town halls I work at has the lightning arrestor system through out all of the buildings. Here in NJ that inspection ( believe it or not) falls under the Building inspector. I watch the system as they go in and make sure they get the certification for the whole system. I have seen some strange things with lightning. I seen where a bolt of lightning went through the side of an old stucco house and hit an old shotgun laying in the attic. That was all nothing else happened. (Beside the small hole in the stucco where the bolt entered.)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard