ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bot540 Offline OP
I was hoping to get some help here, I recently replaced a gfci that was powering a small pump in a tea brewing facility due to the fact that it was always tripping. I assume this problem may be due to the humidity. Someone happened to call OSHA and now they are asking me for a code reference justifying my action. This pump is not with in 6' of water but is near a few tea kettles. Am I in the wrong here, or does it need to be gfci protected?

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Is it in the kitchen?

Greg Fretwell
B
bot540 Offline OP
See, I don't know if it applies. I just read 210.8(B)(2). It is a production room where they brew tea and then bottle it. Technically I would say it is a kitchen. Is there an exception to this being a dedicated piece of equipment?

With a comm kitchen, there are no exceptions for 'dedicated' equipment that is cord & plug connected, 120 volt, etc.

I have to ask, did anyone bother to check the item (pump) that was causing the "trip" on GF? Todays generation of GFI devices usually prevent false tripping.
My experience over many years in comm kitchens, etc. was usually a problem with a plugged in item, and occasionally a 'bad' GF device.

John
B
bot540 Offline OP
Didn't really check the gfi, it was newer and I'm pretty sure they reported the same problem after plugging it into another gfi. The pump is older, maybe something is wrong with it.

G
There does seem to be an interesting interpretation question here. Is the pump in a production area where they brew large quantities, bottle it, ship it out etc. or is it in something like a test kitchen or break area? If the first description is the more accurate, the code doesn't require personnel protection. But determining what a "kitchen" is can be tricky. Is there a set of plans that says its a kitchen? Then its a kitchen. Either way, frankly, if it had GFCI protection previously, it still should.

Bot:
Based on your above response, I'd be willing to put a Benjamin on the pump motor has an issue. BTW, who asked you for a code reference, the client or the OSHA guys??

John
G
The pump problem may be as simple as it is wet inside. Sometime you can fix that by just setting it on the dash of your truck for the day (in the sun).

Greg Fretwell
H
I have seen where OSHA has wanted GFI protection for coffee pots that plug into in a restaurant even though the pot was not in the kitchen. The pots where by the dining area and there was no water around them at all.

P.S. I don't think you want to mess with OSHA they have some pretty hefty fines.

G
The GFI requirements usually pop up where there is water (or potential spillage) present. That's one reason why they are required for kitchen island countertops in dwelling units even if there is no sink in the island (210.8 A 6).

Ghost307
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard