ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 188 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Go to page 30 in their pdf to see what a Ryco meter stack looks like.

Ryco philosophy is to route everything underground.

However, if you need to go over the top then they provide low cost wireways that mate to the meter sections. The conductors flow low under the meter stack and fuses and then straight up in the wireway.

From there you have options: elbows, LBs; or my favorite: a NEMA3R can that receives your MC feeders and directs them ( stripped of the MC 'tape' down to the load side taps in the Ryco.

IF the landlord is willing to provide suitable space, this vertical drop could happen inside the building and you could come up underneath the meter sections. I doubt this will happen in a re-hab.

NEVER forget that the cable guys will provide MC up to 750kCMIL !

MC run through demising walls may entail a sleeve and some fire stop. That is still way cheaper to install than EMT. MC can be woven into the trusses -- no bender, no tugger, no stress, no strut rack. Aluminum even loads the trusses much less!

The Pocos have universally rejected copper feeders in their systems -- take a clue. The ONLY time that copper is used is when the power to space requirement becomes dominant.

Otherwise, the Poco NEVER uses copper. Now think on that!

The only place that I would insist on copper is life safety systems that may have to run ultra hot: fire pumps, elevators, etc.

I also would go to copper if the local environment is hostile to aluminum: chloride ions -- think salt, animal barns, chemical plants.

I also insist on copper residential circuits: think of what the hacks will do!

Aluminum requires REAL electricians!

Tesla
Norcal:
Thanks for the pic, that helps a lot.

Tesla:
Thanks for the links. I did a google on 'Ryco' and got squat for electrical items.

What we have over on this side is similar.

John
N
Hanging a bunch of metercans & disco's off a gutter is IMO the equivalent of wiring in knob & tube, a RYCO metering switchboard is a clean way to do it.Someday need to get a pic of a office bldg w/ 13 metercans on a gutter,12 suites & a house meter & they are pretty clean in comparison to some have seen....

Last edited by NORCAL; 06/17/10 12:54 AM.
S
I did not price the job with all the fusible switches. Archaic. I priced a 5 meter stack with tenant breakers and a 1000a main. Thanks for the help.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard