ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#194552 06/10/10 03:16 AM
I have a home inspector telling my realtor's client that the sub panel installed in the basement is a code violation...Because it has a 200 amp main breaker which is fed from a 100 amp breaker in the main service. Am I completely missing something? The 200 amp main is just a switch, not over current protection. Please if this is a violation, can somebody site a code # please.

Thanks,
H2o

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Also quoting the feeders...they appear in the picture to be #2 Al. I think he thinks they would need to be 4/0 if they terminate in a 200 amp breaker. Again I disagree.
Thanks,
H20

H2O:
OCP for the feeder at the source protects the feeder.
The install you describe as I understand it is a 100 amp feeder to a sub panel with 100 amp OCP, which is code compliant.
The 200 amp CB in the sub is only functioning as a 'switch' (although expensive).

Some, but not all HI's are not the greatest at electrical code compliant determinations.

John
Thanks HotLine,
I think you are saying 100 feeder to a 200 amp ocp which is correct.

H20

G
Home inspectors go out of their way to say they are not code inspectors, then they try to cite code, usually incorrectly.
The educator in me says you should talk to the HI and see if you can't tune him up a little. The next recourse for your client would probably be bringing this up to to the state licensing board, assuming they even license HIs.
In the end it is all about the money. For the most part, HIs are there to hammer the price of the house down and I have seen some pretty silly "defects" reported by them, while missing serious issues.

Greg Fretwell
h2o:
What I say is....
100 amp OCP (Breaker/Fuse) at the source protects the 100 amp feeder to the subpanel.

The 200 amp Cb in the sub is NOT protecting the feeder or the sub panel buss. No matter the load in the sub...it cannot exceed the OCP that is at the feeder source.

AS to the HI's; we license them here in NJ, and as I said above...some have 'it' and a lot 'don't'..

John
T
Hotline...

The semi-main at the panel is not needed at all.

OCP occurs at the MAIN -- which is 100 Amp.

HI is out of his depth.

It sounds like some one over the years needed more branch circuits and installed a standard 200A off-the-shelf panel. In which case the breaker came as part of the deal.

I see these all the time in the Big Box.

My come back to the HI is that I don't need ANY C/B in this situation, but that makes for a quicker cleaner installation... and the HO has an additional OFF switch.

Down the road, the HO could have the SERVICE upgraded to 200A and bump up his panel feeder to equal the Poco's Service Drop/Service Lateral.

Tesla
Tesla:
As I said in my first response, the main in the sub is nothing more than a switch.

I had a few clients over the years that wanted the 'main' within a sub-panel, there thoughts were '1 switch to turn everything off'.

And, yes...the big box version, large panel, main cb, and those assorted branch cb's...a real HO bargain.

John
Tom Offline
The only potential problem I can think of is what are the lugs on the 200 amp breaker rated for? If #2 awg does not fall in the listed wire range, then the installation wouldn't be compliant.

As far as what the HI says is the reason, I think he's been in the wacky tabaccy too much.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Tom #194617 06/14/10 10:09 AM
H
Don't get me started on home inspectors. I have gone head to head with them more than once. There job (and there only job IMHO)is to pick apart your house for what ever reason they can think up. How many times I get calls asking about what the HI says. Now granted when a HI goes into a bathroom there "Should" be GFI protection in there. Yet if the HI goes into a very old home, you know as well as I that there is no GFI protection (if a receptacle) at all.
I have seen where HI's said that there was AL wire in the house, when it was the old silver coated copper wire. I can go on, but I won't, I will get off my soapbox now. sorry!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard