ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#194567 06/10/10 11:44 PM
I have a customer that is supplying the fixtures. The transformer looks like it is for another application than being hardwired . The lighting store told him to just install it in a switch box.
Can the LV conductors and the loomex be in the same device box or does there need to be a separator.

[Linked Image from louielighting.com]

J
You would need separation between the two voltages, but I don't see how to do that with that setup.

IIRC the LV parts must be listed as a system, not a cobbled together mix of parts.

M
I loath those things. There is no legal way to connect them to the line and then leave the box. These are the most abused components in domestic lighting products. the primary and secondary leads must use the same voltage class of wire if there is no barrier and are only approved as a component part of a fixture.
The outputs are marked class 2 but in order to enjoy class 2 relaxations the line must be seperated from the load by a barrier or spaced in such a way as it is impossible to make contact with the input wires with the output. These transformers were designed to provide low voltage output for the bulb but inside of a fixture canopy or luminaire.
The legal way to wire undercounter low voltage lighting is with a transformer that has a plug and load connector hard wired at the factory for external use and plugged into a switched outlet with no dimmer.
Or use a barriered box that seperated the line and load wiring.
If you can find a 75 0r 100 va class 2 doorbell transformer that mounts on a box, that would be legal but maybe not compatible to the fixtures?

Thanks Mike
I just needed to clarify as the lighting stores dont care what they sell customers anymore it seems.

M
Yes some lighting store use sales staff to repair and alter components to suit what ever they think works without any evaluation or code checking to see if what they are doing meets Standards or code.

Link Copied to Clipboard