ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#194469 06/04/10 05:56 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I was reading this article below this morning before work,
seems Google is looking to be the giant-killer that is going to take down Microsoft's domination of the OS market:

Google expects to release its Chrome computer operating system later this year, as it aims a competitive strike at rival Microsoft's Windows.

The Chrome system will designed initially to work on laptop PCs, Sundar Pichai, Google's head of the Chrome project told reporters at the Computex PC show.

"We will be selective on how we come to market because we want to deliver a great user experience," he said. "We're thinking on both the hardware and software levels."

Google is seeking to challenge the dominance of Microsoft's Windows operating system, which currently runs on more than 90 percent of all personal computers currently.

Microsoft on Thursday waved off Google's efforts to develop an open source operating system, saying that software developers would have to create different versions of the same application for different brands.

Pichai disputed that contention, saying the similarity in the base core would mean software companies would not have to develop a new version for Chrome.

"Chrome OS is one of the few future operating systems for which there are already millions of applications that work," Pichai said. "You don't need to redesign Gmail for it to work on Chrome. Facebook does not need to write a new app for Chrome."

Open source software allows tech companies such as Acer to develop their own versions of the software using the skeleton provided by Google to fit their own needs, and its presentation may differ between brands.

The Chrome operating system will be centred around the web browser, with all software including high-end applications such as those used in photo and video editing housed in external servers known as a cloud.

Personally, I wouldn't be going for a thing like this.
We all know how good Google's privacy policy is, considering at the time they were collecting pictures for their Google Street-View application, they "accidentally" gathered peoples info of their Wi-Fi systems.
Yeah, right.

Imagine having a thing like this in your computer?
It sounds like spyware risk #1.

I have mentioned before, my dislike for the "cloud" based file storage, it's all nice and free at the moment to get people used to using it, then maybe a fee a bit later on, them servers don't run for free.

Your thoughts please?

Broom Pusher and
What happened to Red Hat Linux?

Like I said before, if it could run my Applications with the stability of XP Pro, I would use Red Hat Linux for my OS in a Heart beat!

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
T
twh Offline
Red Hat is now a commercial release. The free side of Red Hat is fedora.

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

You can run a few windows apps in linux using wine, a windows emulator. I tried it once, but it got a virus.

http://www.winehq.org/

In the few instances where I use Linux, I use Ubuntu.

Link Copied to Clipboard