ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#194431 06/02/10 12:44 AM
Niko Offline OP
background on the project: 1200 sqft game room addition being built by a handyman.

Customer: My handyman thinks that the price you have given me for the electrical is too high.

My comment: it is too high compare to what?

customer: well he says it is too high.

my comment: I will call you back with a different quote.

how would you have reacted or responded?

Thanks.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
J
If the quote was acurrate then tell him that's the quote. He doesn't have to accept it. He can get someone else.

Some people always try to get a better price no matter how good the deal is. Maybe review it and come back with an even higher quote.

My "quotes" were always "FIRM" & "FINAL", especially in the situation of a handyman being involved.

John
J
Who is the handyman to judge your price? What qualifies them to know your cost of doing business?

I would venture a guess that the 'handyman' also does 'lectric wirin'. He now knows what a pro wants to do the job & he can do it a lot cheaper!

John
I would tell them that is the price. I would next ask so what does the Handyman plan on doing? Does he have a permit? Liscense? Insurance? I personally would charge more to deal with the handyman. Might be a sign to cut and run. Its your call, are they pushing hard?

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Niko Offline OP
I held my self back and i didn't respond in a bad tone. Depending on the client i sometimes adjust the price.

I will stay firm on this one. I think the client is testing me to see if they will get the price for lower. I don't mind if the client wants to negotiate, but in this case it is a different story.

Thank you all for your replies.

P
niko, If you think your price is fair, don't budge. I agree with HotLine1, the handyman is looking for more money in his own pocket. Were any permits pulled?

Niko Offline OP
permits are not pulled, (customers choice) but the handyman is doing a good job, (as far as i can tell) all looks good.

i will let you know what happens.

Last edited by Niko; 06/03/10 07:00 PM.

T
Sounds like fishing for price information...

Free-riding again...

With a handiman in the loop there was no prospect that you'd get such a basic job -- especially when the addition will occur without a permit.

In my jurisdiction, now that times are slow, the AHJ LOVES to cite un-permitted construction. Typically the handiman is an unlicensed GC.

Game logic may dictate that it's better to have this critter spanked -- and sidelined -- versus staying quiet.

The customer-prospect has zero value: you'll never see a dime out of him.

The construction trade is too crowded right now.

Do you want to survive or be part of the food chain?

Tesla
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard