ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Alan Belson #192820 03/04/10 07:49 PM
T
Originally Posted by Alan Belson
Tex: Difficult to see, even blown up, but have you got one of these between the boiler ports hot and cold? It's a mechanical bypass [vanne melangeuse suedeoise- never seen one in the UK], with a dial indicating the amount of boiler hot to cold bleed-back. They come in 3 port [voie] versions too. They do tend to gum up solid, so adjusting the bypass is often impossible after a few years.

http://www.ebaneo.com/gamme-1820-vanne-melangeuse-4-voies.php

No, we don't. If I find the folder I'm going to scan the original schematics. The boiler loop is just boiler - heat exchanger - pump - boiler and a couple of ball cocks.

The heating loop didn't get any circulation at all, except for gravity, the pump shorted out the whole heating system.

The whole thing is non-electric, except for the pumps...

To clarify one thing: this is a weekend home. When it's occupied we set the timeclock to permanent operation and back to 2-3 hours a day when we leave.
Since the house is very small (65 sq. m. living area) the system does keep the house warm, even in -20C weather (slightly below 0°F).
The system probably ran 365 days a year from 1998 when it was installed until 2008 when we put it on a timeclock. Apparently the previous owner kept the house at a toasty 20C year-round because she firmly believed in the necessity of doing this to keep the house dry. It does work, but I guess she'd better spent the money on a damp-proof course in the brick walls rather than on gas.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

twh #194297 05/22/10 03:32 AM
actually i work at one of the better boiler rooms, the portland vetrans administration hospital, the boiler room floors are spotless, the space is well lit, the three 25 year old cleaver brooks boilers look brand new, and the piping is well marked, also there is no junk piled up

derek_anthony #194390 05/28/10 11:38 PM
T
twh Offline OP
Here's a home designed and built boiler system:
[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]
This is a system that grew over time. It started with two electric boilers. Then a gas boiler was added and the electric boilers were kept as back-up. Plate exchangers were installed either to keep systems separate or because of pressure fluctuations. The second electric boiler and a pump are in a shop and another pump is in the pool house. A fan/coil unit with another pump is out of the picture.

There are several levels of priority: 1) DHW, 2) House, 3) Shop, and 4) Pool. Air conditioning is held off if the house is heating. A call for heat will start either the gas or electric boiler, a main circulating pump, a plate exchanger pump and the appropriate zone.

The controller is a Zelio programmable relay. Before the relay, the owner had an extension cord on each pump.

Unfortunately, the boilers are all too small and they still need to use the fireplace to heat the house.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard