ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#189405 10/06/09 08:53 PM
J
jay8 Offline OP
Anyone know if a luminaire above a bathtub is required to be rated as suitable for damp locations? In particular a bath tub with no shower fixture. CEC discusses requirement for switches for luminaires near tubs, and for fixtures in damp locations to be rated suitably.

M
In this jurisdiction any fixture over a tub is required to be vapour proof for 2 reasons. Tubs can be retrofitted for showers and wet hands break bulbs as does splashing water. For some unknown reason people naked in the tub are considered to be at greater risk of getting burned or electrocuted than naked people in front of the sink ;-)

J
jay8 Offline OP
I agree that the luminaire should be rated for damp location if installed over a tub. But as you pointed out Mike, there seems to be a little inconsistency in how that is enforced.

I have to quote a bathroom renovation. Customer wants 2 vapour proof recessed lights in a new steam shower area. Any idea who makes these they will have to be IC type and hopefully match 2 dry type in the main bathroom area.

this is the link to the steam shower unit.

http://www.thermasol.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=215&mItem=2
I cant seem to find the CSA listing mark on the site.

I assume any electrical control has to follow CEC rules . Customer thinks this can be place in the shower smile but looking at the site there seems to be a remote control assembly that can be mounted in the shower and the main LV control is mounted away from reach.

He wants to install this steam unit in a closet. the shower is on other side of the closet wall.not sure if we can have electrical equip in this cloths closet in the bedroom.

Last edited by dougwells; 05/18/10 08:10 PM.
J
jay8 Offline OP
Any heating unit in a clothes closet would be a bad idea due to the proximity of combustibles.

As far as the pot lights, are you trying to match existing dry type trims or are all 4 new recessed lights?

all will be new

J
jay8 Offline OP
I have used the Juno IC44 series low voltage housing,both wet location and dry location trims are available to match the housing. I am pretty sure there would be other manufacturers with the same set up.

Thankyou

M
Jay8
Any heat producing device better not get hot enough with covers installed to ignite even gasoline soaked cheesecloth. There is no code prohibition against the steam generator being located in a closet. I appreciate your thinking but it is not prohibited to my knowledge.
I would assume you have seen hot water tanks buried under old newspapers and other stored items. Your steam generator is touch safe except perhaps the outlet pipe which should get insulated like any steam pipe would.

Link Copied to Clipboard