ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19434 12/28/02 04:25 PM
G
I have to wire an effluent pump for a septic system next week.Does anyone have experience with these? What is the best, most code code compliant way to do this.I have done these before but there seems to be a difference of opinion among ahj's as to what is correct. any suggestions as to what code sections would apply?

#19435 12/28/02 05:03 PM
S
Weighted float switches on SO cord is acceptable. In fact that is all I've seen around here. Nasty job! If you're using multiple pumps, I use an alternating relay to switch pumps every time. For instance if you've got two pumps, the longest switch will turn on the relay which brings in a pump. If one pump can't keep up, then the next longest switch will bring the second. If they can't keep up the next switch will bring in a alarm of some type. Hope this helps.

#19436 12/28/02 07:16 PM
G
The pumps that we have always used have float already attached and have a cord and plug. Some ahj's will allow a recep. mounted in the pump chamber and the whole thing covered with dirt. Some won't allow this, and require the recep/cords to be accesible. This installation will not be inspected except by health dept. for proper operation of the alarm. my question is which way is correct?

#19437 12/28/02 07:33 PM
S
ga.sparky56,
you've a sore topic for me here,as i've gone toe to toe with a few excavators, architects and home owners on this.

( I refuse to service them unless i wire them MY way..)

For the most part, you'll note the larger municipal systems have external controls and disco's, however the common residential 2 float system ( and one alarm float) apparently has not subscribed to this techology as yet....

They come with the motor, long S cord ending in a molded male cord cap, which is then supposivley to plug into the ball float "feed thru" cord cap, assuming a 2" snag of cord caps that will rarely fit inside a bubble cover.

Even if you are lucky enough to do this, the methane with rot practically any al box on the market, not to mention any connections, buble cover nonwithstanding.....

The code? 430.102 ( note the 02' crackdown)
The manufacturer assumes the male cord cap & receptacle INSIDE the effluent container to be the motor disco.......it simply is a poor design, take it from a sparky who has navigated enough septic systems here.

The fix?
Use a Carlon # E970CE round box w/ 4 3/4" openings, get yourself 3--Carlon H978E strain relief connectors and pipe 3/4" pvc directly out the tank to an FS box.

There is usually a vent close by to secure a 2x6 PT pedstal to.

Make all the cords ( motor, ball, alarm) into the E970CE, strip the cords at that point and push them all up into the FS box.

( dux seal the 3/4" shut @ the FS box for extra credit.....)

There are then NO terminations within the tank to go bad, or IMHO, to need check on.

I then apply a Carlon E98TSC switch cover that is lockable to the FS box & feed all back to the dwelling.

Steve ~wipe yer feet please!~ aka sparky

#19438 12/28/02 10:35 PM
G
Sparky, thanks a lot for the info. I too have gone a few rounds with gc's and homeowners on this subject.I just have never come up with a good system, or had been required to do anything in particular on a consistent basis. I have replaced a few old ones, everything in the tank was rotten after about 6 or 8 years.Yours sounds like the best system i've heard of.

#19439 12/28/02 11:25 PM
W
Been on one job with sparky where he installed the system he desribes. After listening to what he had went through in the past, and looking how he came up with this method, I wouldn't do it any other way. I especially like the part where he tells the GC or whoever else is involved to take a hike(in so many words)if they argue with his method. Determination and experience prevails, who wants to crawl into a shit pit to fix anything.

#19440 12/28/02 11:42 PM
G
Wirenutt, went to look at this house the other day,there was a piece of 12-2 uf sticking out of the ground about 2ft.this was about 10ft from the basement wall. The gc says "Oh we already ran your wire for you". Then we go into the basement and lo and behold, stubbed up through the bottom plate was a piec of 3/4 pvc (waterline of course) and of course there is a3/4 water 90 then a short piece of 3/4 stubbed out under the slab. Then he slaps me on the back and says (See! we take care of you).

#19441 12/29/02 12:03 AM
W
It's like if us as electricians, went ahead and installed regular kiln dried 2"x4"s for a sill plate, then told the GC, lokk we take care of you.
[Linked Image]

#19442 12/29/02 01:29 AM
G
SPARKY--any warranty issues with cutting off the plug on the pump?

Glenn

#19443 12/29/02 09:05 AM
S
yes GlennH ......
the manufacturer has a warranty;

This warranty does not apply to: (a) damage due to lightning or conditions beyond the control of SJE-Rhombus; (b) defects or malfunctions resulting from units not installed, operated, or maintained in accordance with instructions provided, applicable local codes, ordinances, or accepted trade practices; (c) failures resulting from abuse, misuse, accident, or negligence; or (d) units repaired and/or modified without prior authorization from SJE-Rhombus.

the link is here

however , there is a installation guide in PDF file form here that pictures a 'direct wire' scenario, so they apparently advocate this method.

there is an e-mail @ the site for further inqury:contact: SJE-Rhombus, P.O. Box 1708, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502 USA or phone: 218-847-1317, fax: 218-847-4617, email: sje@sjerhombus.com

ps~ Wirenuttt hauled me outta the last tank as i ranted on about this.... [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard