ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#194307 05/22/10 05:52 PM
Y
yoyo Offline OP
Hi, my name is jorge, i am electrician and i live in miami. i want to know if is the bx connector approved to use with the female adapter pvc. thanks.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

yoyo #194308 05/22/10 10:04 PM
T
Yes and no...

If you mean " Can I install one 2" PVC run, top it off with a F/A and a hefty 2" BX 2-screw connector and run all of my Romex down it in one neat tidy run."

Then the answer is no -- because the BX connector is listed for AC and MC of various sizes -- not a gangle of Romex.

If you mean " I want to bring my feeder down into my panel using a short terminal run of PVC, F/A, and BX connector."

Then the answer is yes.

Tesla
Tesla #194317 05/23/10 01:35 PM
Y
yoyo Offline OP
Thanks Tesla for you soon answer.

My problem is i have an jbox in concret with an pipe out, and i want put an female adapter to pipe and atach an double bx connector for in to jbox two bx cable for the same pipe. My inspector don't accept it, only if its UL approved. I have image but i don't know how sent to you.

Sorry for my english and thanks one more time.

yoyo #194320 05/23/10 03:32 PM
G
A code compliant way to do that would be to put a box on the end of the pipe. Put your BX connector into the other end of the box and splice there.

The inspector is saying the BX connector is not listed for anything but connection into a box. You can't use it to connect directly to another raceway.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #194321 05/23/10 04:11 PM
H
To carry on this discussion toward a logical end, it is not permissible to thread any connector into a pvc female adaptor unless the connector is listed for that use.

How about all of us electricians who routinely install threaded emt connectors into threaded malleable iron and aluminum or zinc condulets (like tee's, LB's etc.)? Threaded condulets are only approved for conduit with tapered threads like rigid or IMC. Only set screw type condulets are approved for emt.

How many pvc stubs under panelboards convert to emt with female adaptors and emt connectors and are overlooked by inspectors because it is not worth the fight.

My point is that if inspectors made us remove all unapproved installations in this country we would have very few working electrical systems.

If one starts looking, there are many unapproved uses of materials in the US. However, we still have the safest electrical systems in the world.

homer #194323 05/23/10 05:01 PM
Tom Offline
I'm with Homer on this. To carry it even further, that conduit hub on top of the meter socket is for threaded conduit only, not an EMT connector, SE cable connector or PVC male terminal adapter. I'd have to reject 90% of the services I inspect if I took a real narrow view of 110.3(B) in this case.

There are many listed adapters on the market but it can be tough to get the supply houses to stock them because most electricians would reach for a GRC coupling & whatever other fittings he needed to make the change.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Tom #194325 05/23/10 07:09 PM
G
That begs the question, how do you make up a rain tight "T" in EMT?
I had the same problem when the state required all EMT to be using compression connectors, wrench tight. Legally you could not use a conduit body.
On the other hand a Bell box has straight cut threads so I am not sure what the difference would be.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard