ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 410 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Indeed, in the auditorium, in the seating area. Yes, it was purpose-built, in 1928, but recently remodeled. After the flood FEMA needed our mains above the flood level, so the distribution section is outside and the MDP is in the seating area. (There is really no other place to put it, we just don't have the space).

I suppose its safe enough as that fire exit is only used for emergency egress (ie, never used) and over 90% of patrons don't likely even notice its existence. Still, long-term we want to find SOME way to make it safer / more tamper-resistant.

Last edited by trobb; 05/16/10 06:21 PM.
H
trobb,
Square D has dead front covers with hinged lockable doors available for all of their low voltage panelboards, including the I-line. Just measure the size of cabinet and check with your supplier. The door also provides an extra measure of safety if a breaker has a meltdown.

H
Ed,

I did a lot of work with my old boss in Bergen county too. Those types of services were all over those old cities. I worked in Secaucus, Guttenberg, West New York, Jersy City, Hoboken, etc. The largest service like that I ever worked on had 9-11 meters, 1 main and I think it only had a 200 amp. service coming in to the building.

R
Interesting old meter board.

It would be a pain to work on as well the before mentioned poor lighting conditions as well.

For new sites it should be mandatory to have good lighting on both sides of switch panels installed in switch rooms.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Originally Posted by RODALCO

For new sites it should be mandatory to have good lighting on both sides of switch panels installed in switch rooms.

Ray,
We've all seen it before in not only switch rooms but in corridors that have a panel or switch-board installed along the line.

Look, with the cost of fluorescent lighting coming down since the introduction of HF ballasts and newer more efficient fittings, like the T5 fittings.
It would be a false economy to not throw a couple of these fittings at right angles on each side of the panel so that there were no shadows at all.
If that is all you have to do to provide good safe conditions while people are working on panels, why would you not do that?

NEC 210.70 requires a lighting outlet controled by a switch (wall mounted or self-contained) by.near equipment requiring servicing. Panels fall under that definition.

Exact locations, or 'more than one' are not within the referenced Article, no matter how you read it.

Code aside, 'adequate' lighting is installed on new comm jobs, a few memorable electric rooms were 'brain surgery' lit. When renovation time comes for the older dungeons, the lite will shine.

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard