ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#193710 04/14/10 11:56 PM
S
SJT Offline OP
The Space located 6'above Panels, Services, Motor Control centers, and Distribution Equipment and as wide as the Equipment is solely for the Electrician, right? No piping or other ducts etc. are allowed in this space. Does the 6'rule (110.26) also apply to disconnects, or are they exempt from the rule? Thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

A
It depends. Check 110.26 (E)

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
G
You also have the issue of dedicated electrical space above the 6'6 working space.

(1) Indoor. Indoor installations shall comply with 110.26(F)(1)(a) through (F)(1)(d).
(a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.
Exception: Suspended ceilings with removable panels shall be permitted within the 1.8-m (6-ft) zone.
(b) Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated space required by 110.26(F)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain foreign systems, provided protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.
(c) Sprinkler Protection. Sprinkler protection shall be permitted for the dedicated space where the piping complies with this section.
(d) Suspended Ceilings. A dropped, suspended, or similar ceiling that does not add strength to the building structure shall not be considered a structural ceiling.

Greg Fretwell
A
110.26(E) applies ONLY to service equipment, switchboards, panelboards, or motor control centers.
Does the disconnect function as one of those items ?
Yes or no, determines if the rule applies, i.e. it depends.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
G
That is always the question. When do you apply "working space" to disconnects? and the answer seems to be which disconnect and what AHJ are you talking to.

Greg Fretwell
S
SJT Offline OP
It can get crowded out there in a Mechanical room, between the plumbers pipes, HVAC guys, and technicians. It's good those clearance rules out there. It's almost like picturing an invisible 3D frame over your Equipment and claiming that territory.

Y
I'd say fuseable disconnects & controllers come into that because you can change the fuses while engerized.

H
I always though that an HVAC disconnect(disco) would need work space clearances (WSC) because they have to be serviced. Now the Dep. of Community Affairs tell me that the HVAC disco does not need WSC because it is not "serviceable equipment". I said, OK maybe that would be so if there are no fuses, but I believe if there are fuses, you need WSC. That would be the way I call it if I see it.

G
The way it has been explained to me is that a HVAC service tech might need to test the voltage on the line side of the disconnect. I could make that argument for every switch in the house.

Most fused disconnects (all?) have the fuse on the load side of the disconnect so nobody should need to handle an energized fuse.

Greg Fretwell
Y
If you read 110.26 (a) Fused disconnects & Controllers (changing heaters ect )come under it. If you read in the handbook (I know its not the code) explaination it covers thoses items.
just my call.

Last edited by Yoopersup; 04/26/10 09:08 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard