ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 275 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trumpy Offline OP
Hi Guys,
As you may know, I work in a lot of factories, where injuries can happen.
Most places here have at 5-6 people on each shift that are trained First-Aiders.
This isn't a silly idea to be honest, any place that doesn't, is really putting their employees at risk of not getting the proper first response care that they deserve.

I am pretty much a Para-medic from my work with the Fire Service and I have undertaken extra training through St Johns Ambulance (this is what happens when you marry an Advanced Para-medic, with 20+ years experience).

But do any of you guys, hold First-Aid quals?, I'm told it is the one thing that will get you a job, as an advantage over the other guy.

Before you launch into a course of First Aid training, please bear in mind, that it takes a certain type of person to give good, competent First-Aid care.
Some people seem to think it is merely handing out the odd Band-Aid.

I have (in the time that I have been involved in this game) seen people trapped in machinery, the loss of fingers and the like, it is NOT a nice free, easy ride.

Crikey, you don't even have to be working in one workplace, as long as you have good skills (and the aptitude) as a First-Aider, you'll get a name for yourself, should you help someone on a site, in the event of some being injured.

Your comments, please.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
G
I was the safety officer at IBM and I tried to get everyone in a basic first aid course. We were all CPR certified and we all had chemical/electrical safety classes every year.

Greg Fretwell
E
Both first aid and CPR are offered free from our Union local. I have both and I think everyone should, but it is not mandatory nor will it get you hired before someone else.

G
It might save you some money on your insurance if everyone is trained.
There are a lot of things that can happen where the first minute or two makes the difference whether this is a very sad story for a grieving family or just an amusing anecdote.
At my wife's country club, every employee is first aid trained, most are trained to use the defibrillator and they have them on all the ranger carts along with several places around the club house and shops.
They have used the defibrillator several times and a couple times, actually saved a life.
It would certainly be something to consider if you are in an industrial situation.

Greg Fretwell
Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell

There are a lot of things that can happen where the first minute or two makes the difference

Yes indeed there are, Greg.
This is why it is called First Aid, good care needs to be provided in the first instance of injury.
The longer a victim is without proper care, means at the other end of the care cycle, it takes more time and money to treat them.

A person can (if cut badly enough) bleed to death in under 3 minutes, your brain isn't getting fresh, oxygenated blood, therefore you are on a slippery slope to death.
The shock of having a thing like this happen, could also blank the victim out.

Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by Eddy Current
Both first aid and CPR are offered free from our Union local. I have both and I think everyone should, but it is not mandatory nor will it get you hired before someone else.

EC, I'm not talking about wrapping someone up in a bandage and then having a bit of a "blow into the dummy".
That isn't what I would class as a First Aid course.
What I am talking about is Spinal Care, Personal entrapment,
deep incisions that us WP First aiders are used to.

I am disparaged by your playing of the Union card. shocked

Last edited by Trumpy; 04/19/10 04:15 AM.
L
Trumpy, I don't see it (card) the way you did.

Every EC that I have worked for (all N-U) have required it.
Not to the advanced level of yourself,but to include the catastrophic injury as well as the CP type.
On a personal level I think it is great. Everyone should have it.

Yes it does help with the pre-screening process when entering a customers facility.

Link Copied to Clipboard