ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Y
I think if the roof is flat & readliy accessible Yes there should be one there , But in a case like that its a different set up then on a standard house set up. I think in the house case it should be like a service . Right away as you enter the dwelling or outside ground level.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
I am not a big fan of running DC PV wiring inside of the house even if it is in pipe. There isn't any over current protection or disco until the end of the pipe.

Cat Servant
It's not often that I get to use the same reply for two threads ... this one and the current one about working space laugh

Let me start at the very beginning ...

The NEC is not, as we are clearly told in its' introduction, either a design manual or an instruction manual. As much as inspectors love to have things spelled out -in minute detail, they have the same duty as everyone else apply their judgement. Ours is a system of 'common law,' where we rely upon past practices as well as our neighbors to guide us in our interpretations of the law.

The locations of disconnects is one such area, where design judgement comes into play. For example, the disconnect for rooftop equipment may very well be best located - in terms of access by service personell - in a place that can only be accessed from a ladder. This would naturally place the disconnect above the 6-1/2 ft above grade that is referred to in various parts of the NEC.

Lest I belabor the obvious, it's also quite possible that 'good design' may call for more than just a single code-mandated disconnect.

We saw this issue present a different face recently, when an article in the IAEI magazine advocated the use of GFCI breakers, rather than devices. While that may make your monthly testing easier, it's of little comfort to the rooftop worker when one needs to be reset.

SOLAR, and other generation methods, have concerned me from the start, simply because the feeders are 'live' even when the switch at the panel is "off." It's more of a concern with solar, since multiple panels are often used together for a single feed - and there's no way to turn a solar panel 'off.' A fault in one unit can damage every other unit, unless there is some means to isolate each panel. Likewise, a short in a unit can make everything 'live,' for as long as the sun shines.

I would not, at this point, worry too much over stories of 'firemen getting shocked.' Not that I doubt the accounts; rather, I doubt the competence and completeness of the reporters. I also visit a 'self reliance' forum, and the creativity of the members who have 'gone solar' is exceeded only by their ignorance. I suspect that most of the problems will come from installations that have myriad code issues- the location of the disco being the least of them.

Y
I & anyone dealing a lot with the NEC knows its Not a design Manual But after saying that there sure is a Lot of Do"s & Can nots in it that affect each design.
As far as Disconnect switchs its kinda a rule of thumb . The ist Disconnect what ever the power source is Readily accessible (there are Exceptions such as behind locked doors). After that on a case by case basis they can be
not readly accessible.
Yoopersup

I don't really see a problem with the disconnect being on the roof.
Reason I say that, is because if there was a fire that required the disconnection of the panels, most fire appliances that I am aware of, carry a pike pole, these are inherently made from fibre-glass,with a steel tip, all that would be required, is an actuator (on the disconnect) in the shape of a ring to put the hook of the pike pole though and give the actuator a quick pull.
Having said that, I'm not entirely sure that down is off (isolated) over in the US, with a disconnect?
It wouldn't take much to isolate a solar installation at all, if that were the case.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Trumpy:

Yes, down is "OFF" on this side of the world.

John
G
If this was really an emergency disconnect to be operated with a hook, why not a pullout with a ring on it?

Greg Fretwell
H
Not for nothing but some of the roofs around here are very high. You need extension ladders to get to them. I don't think the fireman could reach the disco unless they were in a bucket truck.

Also the story I read about the fireman getting shocked came from a NFPA magazine.

I also like the new PV systems where they change the AC into DC right on the roof. Then the lines from the roof down can be inside or outside or wherever you want to run them. If the AC shuts down, the Inverter shuts off at the roof and the lines down are not energized. That is much safer in my eyes.

Harold:
I have an issue with unprotected conductors inside of a structure, AC or DC.

John
G
690.14(C) covers that

(C) Requirements for Disconnecting Means. Means shall be provided to disconnect all conductors in a building or other structure from the photovoltaic system conductors.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard