ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#193547 04/07/10 03:33 PM
Niko Offline OP
Is chemical storage warehouse considered a corrosive or hazardous environment?
Chemical are not flammable and are stored in sealed containers. The warehouse has exhaust fans that operate 24 hrs a day.

what are your thoughts on this specifically on type of conduit that needs to be installed. I am thinking EMT and regular steel boxes may be O.K. but i like to get your input.

Thank you.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

G
You really get your guidance from article 500.
The handbook has tables that define a great number of chemicals as to the various hazards they might present.

Greg Fretwell
Niko Offline OP

I went through article 500 and i don't think that applies. I may be wrong though. I think in this warehouse the electrical conduits and boxes and such must be corrosion resistance.

Niko:
After going tru Art 500, the next step I would offer is to talk to the local AHJ; Elec, Fire and Building.

Here in NJ, any work you (EC) intend on doing is a site as you describe requires Plans, signed & sealed by a Design Professional (ie: Architect, PE/EE) in order to apply for a Electric permit.

John
Niko Offline OP
Thanks John,
I think that is what i need to do.

T
No generalizations are to be had.

One must tap the industry experience.

Just what ARE they storing there?

Acetone?

Fireworks?

Soap?

Fertilizer?

Too many possibilities.

Tesla
R
Look at yor classifications and then have the owners tell you if they have anything that falls into those catagories.

The answer may be "only ionized water", but....who really knows?

The need for an approved plan, and the appropriate permits & inspections will keep YOU out of harms way (trouble).

John
Broom Pusher and
As previously mentioned by others, you will need to find out what Chemicals are being stored - along with the "Strength", then base the Class/Division of the installation upon the hazard of the materials involved.

For instance, if the Classified Material is Hydrogen Peroxide 3%, this would be a minor corrosive and minor hazard (may not require wiring per article 500).

However, Hydrogen Peroxide >26% would be Classified as an Oxidizer (Reducing Agent), and therefore would be a hazardous Material.

What the Fire Department designates classification will effect your installation requirements.

As mentioned by others, verify with the Building Department &/or Client, as to the hazard of the Material used or stored.

References should be reflected from the _Approved Plans_, and what is denoted regarding the "Hazardous Location(s) Boundary(s)".
The Architect should have this hatched on the Stamped Approved Plans

If no one wants to give you this information, tell the Architect / Client you are forced to apply the most restrictive Classification and Division, then turn in your Change Order for Class 1 Div 1 wiring upgrades!
That should get some attention wink

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard