ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 560 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
gfretwell #193552 04/07/10 07:16 PM
G
I found the answer for the Florida building code, that is based on the ICC codes

SECTION 1004 SMOKE ALARMS IN OCCUPANCY GROUPS R-3 AND R-4

1004.1 Smoke alarms in existing portions of a building. Whenever an addition is made to a building or structure of a Group R-3 or R-4 occupancy, the existing building shall be provided with smoke alarms as required by the Florida Building Code, Building or the Florida Building Code, Residential as applicable. The smoke alarms in the existing building are not required to be interconnected with smoke alarms in other portions of the base building

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #193554 04/07/10 09:16 PM
G
Over at Fl IAEI I got this citation.

R313.2.1 Alterations, repairs and additions. When alterations, repairs or additions requiring a permit occur, or when one or more sleeping rooms are added or created in existing dwellings, the individual dwelling unit shall be equipped with smoke alarms located as required for new dwellings; the smoke alarms shall be interconnected and hard wired.

Exceptions:

1. Interconnection and hard-wiring of smoke alarms in existing areas shall not be required where the alterations or repairs do not result in the removal of interior wall or ceiling finishes exposing the structure, unless there is an attic, crawl space or basement available which could provide access for hard wiring and interconnection without the removal of interior finishes.

2. Work involving the exterior surfaces of dwellings, such as the replacement of roofing or siding, or the addition or replacement of windows or doors, or the addition of a porch or deck, are exempt from the requirements of this section."

Don't you love building codes?

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #193555 04/07/10 09:20 PM
Y
Added was the key word & in orginal post the rooms were Additions so in that case Add but gets interesting if must be interconnected & no dectors rest of dewelling.

Yoopersup #193557 04/07/10 09:33 PM
G
The responder indicated that in his jurisdiction the rule was if you can get the wire in through the attic or a crawl space you will be putting in an interconnected alarm to all sleeping areas you can get to if one is added.
He even suggested a wireless solution if you can't get them all wired.
I am curious to see if there are other interpretations. Usually, no matter what, there is somebody who reads it another way.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #193559 04/08/10 02:24 AM
Wireless smoke alarms?
Hmmm.
That would be OK, as long as all models of these were on the same frequency.
And that those down the track are on the same frequency as well, the last thing we need is smoke alarms that won't "talk" to one another.
I'd imagine that things like this might be over a 2.4GHz network (like everything else "wireless" seems to be these days).
Are Wi-Fi devices in homes going to blank these signals out, or on the other side of the coin, are these things going to muck up peoples Wi-Fi signal to the degree that they will disable the detectors?
Just an "off the bat" thought.

Trumpy #193560 04/08/10 02:53 AM
G
I have never looked into them but they could be PLC. The only problem with that is your neighbor on the same transformer might get woken up every time you burn the toast.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #193562 04/08/10 04:07 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I have never looked into them but they could be PLC. The only problem with that is your neighbor on the same transformer might get woken up every time you burn the toast.

Good one Greg.
At least over here every 3rd house is on the same phase, so they are never going to know what woke them up.
Sounds like a diplomatic nightmare to me. grin

Trumpy #193569 04/08/10 11:10 AM
S
I suppose that some company could offer addressable-wireless smoke alarms. Sounds cheaper to pull wire or surface mount conduit or wireway.

sabrown #193574 04/08/10 01:17 PM
G
Florida has not gone far enough to ram wire mold down our throats but since the majority of houses are single story with an attic, anything mounted on the ceiling is generally accessible.
I know that to do this in my house was really only an extra hour or two and since I was up there anyway pulling in the extra circuits for my addition it was effectively less than that.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard