ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 460 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
As for Norm / Tom not using the proper saw guards or safe work practices, there is always the small print flashed fast at the end of all the programs saying something like:

"safety guards and other safe work practices may have been bypassed in the making of this entertainment show. Please follow and use all safety devices / instructions provided with your tools".

Have to put something in the program to keep the lawyers at bay when somebody uses a table saw with a guard because he saw Norm do it.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
J
Norm always stresses saftey. I believe there is a disclaimer at the begining or end of the show stating that some guards have been removed to facilitate filming.

Norm always stresses saftey.

He does, that's true. Don't get me wrong, I rate that show as one of the best ever made in its genre. Why he has never fitted a guard/river [splitter] to his tablesaw is beyong me, for it adds little to camera visibility or curtailed working freedom. When the inexperienced see him cutting board or timber without one and getting away with it, they must surely think that they can too, depite the disclaimers? But the fact is, if you do just that on a regular basis, eventually you WILL get a high velocity plank, [ at 110 mph, so don't think you'll have the time to duck!], hit you in the face or over the head.
Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSPmuQr0COM

The cause of in-excess of 30,000 sawbench accidents every year in the US alone. Don't be one of them!
cry

Wood work but can't!
G
Riving knives never really caught on here. If you don't have a fairly new saw there isn't really even a way to mount one.

Greg Fretwell
M
To go slightly OT I have not touched a table saw since wood shop class in Jr high school 40 years ago, but I vaguely recall using a feather board(?) attached to the miter slot contacting the wood being cut to keep it from kicking back.

G
That is one of my safety devices. I also like a sled for handling small pieces.
The real objective is having good control of the work piece without getting close to the blade.

Greg Fretwell
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard