ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Sloppy sensationalist journalism, and the reader comments are equally as ignorant.

1)"All appliances are made to handle 110 volts,appliances made for oversees use,have a power inverter inside,that turns 220 into 110 volts,what they did was burn out the inverter by not giving it 220 volts." - what a load of garbage. All appliances are made for 110V? That's a classic!
What's this "inverter" I wonder? This reader seems to think the rest of the world uses appliances made for the U.S market, complete with 5-15 plugs and adaptors. I don't know about the UK, but in Aus/NZ it's illegal to sell appliances unless they have the proper plug; adaptors are not permitted. I bet this guy doesn't have a passport.

2)"Since Great Britain uses 220v/50hz" - I'm being picky here but it's actually 240V (even though the EU calls it 230V on paper).

3)and the journalist stating "but they did find a burnt-out television and DVD player" -really? What exactly is "burnt-out"? Melted and carbonised plastic and the like? I've repaired thousands of items of audio visual equipment and there is no possible electrical mis connection that will do that. All that happens is blown fuses and burnt tracks on the PCB...nothing visible from outside.

The problem here is the facts are so garbled it's impossible to know what happened.

G
I find that to be true of most news stories. Reporters seldom actually understand what they are writing about and they just use sensational language that sells the media they are reporting for.

The flip side of that is most firemen are not electricians or electronic techs so in a lot of cases simply calling a fire "electrical" is short hand for "we are not sure what caused it but we found some burned up electrical stuff near the source of ignition".

Maybe we need more guys like Mike on the FD?

Greg Fretwell
G
I'm totally with Greg on this one. I still laugh when I remember those ridiculous phrases on the TV news.

"Osama Bin Laden almost certainly either dead or alive"

And my all time favorite...from the Columbia breakup;
"Shuttle was traveling 18 times the speed of light"

There are a lot of people in journalism because they couldn't hack the tougher school courses like Writing or Physics.

And I also vote for getting more guys like Mike in the Fire Service!!!

Ghost307
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I find that to be true of most news stories. Reporters seldom actually understand what they are writing about and they just use sensational language that sells the media they are reporting for.

The flip side of that is most firemen are not electricians or electronic techs so in a lot of cases simply calling a fire "electrical" is short hand for "we are not sure what caused it but we found some burned up electrical stuff near the source of ignition".

Maybe we need more guys like Mike on the FD?

I feel your pain, Greg.
Things are pretty fractured when it comes to getting REAL news these days.
I refuse to make any media statements whatso-ever to the media, I leave that to our Chief Fire Officer, mainly because at the end of the day, the media will twist and turn anything that you DO say to their own ends, if it will sell a few extra hundred papers.
Been there before, not my style.

Having said that, we took 3 crews of the local fire brigade out, when I was with the PoCo, and taught the lot of them about the dangers of electricity (LV. HV and use in houses).
Also what can cause a fire in a house.
Our last house-burn took this into account, where-as the power would normally have been cut from the place, days before the "burn" occurred, we tried out over-fusing, with 30A wire in a lighting circuit, looping off a range circuit (32A) to a power point supplying 3 2kW heaters.
We also tried out some dodgy CB's as well, they never tripped at all.
So we all learned a thing or two that day.
And good lord, did we have fun. grin

is it possible this was a *really* old hotel which might have had some NEMA 2-15 outlets in use? Ive seen those warn out to the point one might get a round pin into them...

D
djk Offline
Originally Posted by Lostazhell
is it possible this was a *really* old hotel which might have had some NEMA 2-15 outlets in use? Ive seen those warn out to the point one might get a round pin into them...

It still doesn't make any sense as UK and Irish appliances don't use round-pin plugs. If it actually was a UK appliance it would have had a BS1363 plug which, without the use of a sledge hammer, is not remotely compatible with any NEMA outlet I've ever seen.

That's what you would have on a typical DVD player over here : [Linked Image from media4.rscomponents.cataloguesolutions.com]

There is no 2-pin version as the ground/earth pin is required to open the interlocked shutters on outlets here.

That's what's used in Continental Europe for appliances under 2.5A load :

[Linked Image from euronetwork.co.uk]

It's not used on UK or Irish appliances.

The story just doesn't make any sense. I'd say it's a faulty adaptor of some sort.

Last edited by djk; 05/31/10 10:30 AM.
It sounds a bit strange that someone would take a DVD player with them on holiday in another country?

I mean, don't most laptops play DVD's?
They must have taken their own DVD's as well, because I'm pretty sure you can't play US DVD's in a British DVD player (different regions), I could be wrong about that, too.

The way air-lines charge you for baggage, you can really only get away with taking your tooth-brush and a change of clothes. crazy

T
a) I don't think there is any European plug that can be forced into a NEMA outlet, the pins are just spaced too far apart to make that work even using brute force. NEMA 1-15 has the rongs spaced 13mm (give or take a few tenths) apart, all round pin varieties 19mm on centre, BS 1363 22.5 mm. So... an adaptor (purchased or makeshift) must have been involved.

b) could have been a portable DVD player I guess - they look a bit like those Nintendo DS GameBoy successors. Don't knopw if they have video out to connect to a TV though.

c) qhile being a bit more expensive, code-free DVD players that happily play any DVD are readily available.

With a bunch of bored kids involved, taking a pile of DVDs kind of makes sense. It would be far more interesting how the accident happened. We aren't likely to ever find it out I guess. Undervoltage is probably the least likely explanation - I mean we're talking about electronics, not big motors!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard