ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
Has anyone seen a heat lamp over a kitchen island or under an upper cabinet? Something like a regular 250w can light.
My wife an I were discussing this and neither of us had ever seen it but it would be handy if you were trying to keep a tray of food warm or for quicker thawing of something frozen.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:

With all the 'toys' in the McMansions...no, I have not come accross a heat lamp.

A unit similar to the 'plate warmer' at the serving line in the diners/resturants would work!

John
Greg,
Restaurants over here have used this method to keep food hot after it is served up, ever since I can remember.
I also remember being sent to repair some of these lights one busy night in one of these restaurants and burning my wrist on the stainless counter. eek
Anyhow, I can't say I agree with keeping food hot in this way.

Last edited by Trumpy; 03/29/10 03:42 PM. Reason: Typo
R
I installed a commercial steam table that also equipt with heat lamps in one of our custom homes

W
My sister has a range hood over her high end range. It has 2 heat lamps and a warming shelf on it.

Greg, a word of warning. Any food placed to keep warm under such a lamp should be consumed within a reasonable period, say 30 minutes from cooking. Warm food can be a breeding ground for dangerous bacteria and a lamp should not be used for defrosting or heating stuff like butter for spreading,[though I guess you never have to do that often in Florida!]. The safe temperature for keeping food warm is 140F [60C] minimum.
BTW, if it gets too hot under a lamp you may damage the worktop, if it's laminate, by 'unsticking' the latex glue or bubbling the top transparent coating.

Last edited by Alan Belson; 04/01/10 04:55 PM. Reason: italics edit

Wood work but can't!

Link Copied to Clipboard