ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I am really avoiding getting a generator. That is just one more engine that won't start in an emergency and if the outage lasts for more than a few days fuel becomes a problem.
Despite the drawbacks, it's really hard to beat a generator. It doesn't need to be big- a 3500W gen (15A/240V) will power every light, fridge, computer and TV in the house and still have power to spare. You don't need to run it 24/7 during an extended outage, just a few hours a day- a single tank will probably last you a week if you only run it 2 hours a night. A couple 5 gallon cans, and you're up for days. I like to store mine dry to keep the gas from going bad; I keep gas in 5 gallon cans I slowly cycle through our lawnmower over the course of the summer. The deaths are from people doing stupid things, like running their generator in their living room (or in the garage with the door shut) and with no CO detector in the house. If you're smart about it, there's virtually no risk.

The next step down is an inverter. Small inverters are VERY cheap and have enough juice to charge a laptop and your cellphones, but not much else. For about the cost of a generator, you could get a more powerful inverter mounted to your car that would let your car function as the generator; you still have the same gas problem as with a portable gen, though. You could get a 12V inverter and move it from one battery to the next on your golf cart.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I installed one of the little Generac units a few years ago.

Fed it from the house natural gas supply and set it to automatically start, test and transfer.

It's been working fine; but now I need to get it a new battery so it starts easier.

Ghost307
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard