ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
twh Offline
I have no idea what the code rule is but 9c90 is required for rework the rational is dragging a cable through a void can skin it.i know this because of the inspector busted me on it
I hope that's an Ontario rule.

Could you not go wireless?
I'd like to learn more about that. Can someone provide a link?

M
I would like to know where it is required to use bx when wiring is fished? The BX cable can do a lot of damage to loomex when it is fished into a cavity where loomex is.
If anything we would actively discourage it and i might even require a contractor to open a wall to prove the bx did not damage loomex already there. A loomex cable sliding across another in the wall is no where near the risk that pulling a bx in would create.
Now if loomex is installed in a T-Bar ceiling we require the drop from the ceiling to the fixture in the t-bar to be wire with bx so that when a guy comes to install a bunch of data wire he won't damage the fixture drop wires. Not much loomex gets installed in tbar ceilings since most t-bar ceilings are used to move air which requires an ft-4 rating and I believe loomex is only ft-1.

I get stuff online from a UK electrical wholesaler.

Here's a similar US operation, http://www.foxelectricsupply.com/

- you should be able to locate a similar Canadian business.

Here's a maker: http://www.illumra.com/

Or, Google: "wireless light switches"

Alan

Last edited by Alan Belson; 04/01/10 05:12 PM.

Wood work but can't!
Originally Posted by mikesh
I would like to know where it is required to use bx when wiring is fished? The BX cable can do a lot of damage to loomex when it is fished into a cavity where loomex is.
If anything we would actively discourage it and i might even require a contractor to open a wall to prove the bx did not damage loomex already there. A loomex cable sliding across another in the wall is no where near the risk that pulling a bx in would create.
Now if loomex is installed in a T-Bar ceiling we require the drop from the ceiling to the fixture in the t-bar to be wire with bx so that when a guy comes to install a bunch of data wire he won't damage the fixture drop wires. Not much loomex gets installed in tbar ceilings since most t-bar ceilings are used to move air which requires an ft-4 rating and I believe loomex is only ft-1.

12-612 Proximity to knob-and-tube and non-metallic-sheathed cable systems

Where armoured cable is used in a building in which concealed knob-and-tube wiring or concealed non-metallic-sheathed cable wiring is installed, the cable shall not be fished if there is a possibility of damage to the existing wiring.
Armoured cable must not be fished in locations where concealed knob-and-tube wiring or non-metallic-sheathed cables have been installed. The armoured cables may damage the insulation on the conductors or cables, causing arcing or shorting and creating a potential fire hazard or loss of power to circuits or equipment.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard