ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
There are GFCI breaker testers and lots of company's make them and lots of ECs use them.

I suspect they work fine but the manufacturer says to test with the test button on the GFCI. I'll go with the manufacturer's recommendation, especially if it's cheaper and easier than an alternative solution.

I follow the same logic for the AFCI breakers. Test with the built in test button.

K
If I want to verify that a particular circuit in a room has AFCI protection, I will use an Ideal 61-059 tester to trip the AFCI for verification purposes, then go around the room and check to see that the lighting and receptacles are off.
On the way out, stop by the panel and reset the individual AFCI’s, and while there you can also use the trip test button on the cb itself to actually test for AFCI functionality per UL and the manufacturer.

For resi final inspection purposes, this is much faster and more accurate than going to the panel and attempting to locate the specific breaker for a circuit, turning it off, then going back to the room to verify that the receptacles and lighting for that area are now off.
Especially since in some larger homes, there can be several AFCI protected branch circuits supplying one room.

The nice thing about the Ideal 61-059 is that it is also a traditional cube type receptacle tester with GFCI trip function. It's not much larger than a standard cube tester so still fits neatly in your shirt pocket or clips to your belt with the nylon case.

Kjay:

Thanks!! Your scenario sounds good, with all bases covered.

John
R
when testing do you test more than one outlet on a cicuit?

H
John,

Just push the button. As far as I know there isn't any AFCI tester that is UL acceptable yet. If someone does find one, we would all like to know. (I think) smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard