ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#193159 03/20/10 02:39 PM
G
I know this is an old subject but I wonder if anyone has information on the installation of a receptacle with ground terminal up. I am not aware of anything in the NEC but there seems to be a policy of installing "ground prong up" in hospitals. Is there something in the hospital code that specifies this requirement?

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

George:

The logic is if a metal cover were to come into contact with a non-fully inserted plug, with ground 'up' there is no 'big flash'!

As to a code requirement, research will be required.

John
G
John, I am familiar with that logic but can't really support it even slightly. I've been an electrician all my adult life and I'm 70 years old and I've never heard of that happening. Too far fetched for me. I just thought there would be some architect or engineer monitoring this board and they might have some NFPA or other standard that is used at the design phase of their specs.

George Little
E
Well, while we are at it: What about horizontal mounting requirements in the Chicago area? I still haven't found a legitimate reason for that.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
G
At least with the horizontal mount and the grounded conductor blade up, you would not have a "big flash" like you still could if the ground blade were up. It's believable that the plate could still come in contact with the ground blade and the ungrounded blade with the ground blade in the up position. Assuming that the logic for mounting the receptacle in the ground up position to avoid the "big flash".
Come on hospital people what's the reason for mounting the receptacle in the "ground up" position.

Hey Fretwell- let's hear from ya.

Last edited by George Little; 03/20/10 08:36 PM.

George Little
W
Although I know of no NEMA standards or requirements, it seams most commercial equipment like soda machines, ice makers and large coffee pots that have a right angle plug have a ground pin up configuration. Most home equipment like refrig. and window AC have Ground pin down. I have some hospital grade IEC cords with a right angle plug and they are ground pin up.

R
It was in the specs to put the ground up in the last hospital addition we did

G
We just killed a thread for the same question didn't we? wink

but I am officially in the "it makes no difference category".
Typically I see people turning the switched receptacles upside down from the others as an aid to identifying them later.
The only time it does seem to matter is when you have a right angle molded plug. I have examples of cords that come out each way though and my UPS cords seem to come out at 45 degrees (so you can get 2 in a duplex I suppose.)

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard