ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#193027 03/16/10 09:52 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
Does one exist for the electrical trade? Or did i miss it?

I mean, seems we have plenty of search engines and trade mags touting any given product and/or manufacturer, but it would be nice if , say, we had some sort of 5 star system when choosing something like a motion detector, etc......~S~

sparky #193124 03/19/10 09:36 AM
R
most products are pretty much the same and it is just personal preference

Rewire #193132 03/19/10 06:30 PM
May be a idea to start a section here??

Any body for or against??

John
S
sparky Offline OP
Well i'd be for it HotOne, not that's i'd have a clue as to how to go about it..... but where else would we hear reviews from our peers?

All the trade mags tout everything like it's five star, and the suppliers (at least the 1/2 dz I've dealt with) might give you some feed back as to which brands are asked for the most, but few would opine as to why

~S~

W
As long as any and all conflicts of interest are fully disclosed. "I think Product X is really great. And BTW, I work for the company that makes it". Or would there be an issue with getting sued, if you said "Don't use (brand P, you know who) stab lok breakers, they sometimes don't trip". And things may get awkward if someone reviews a product that is advertised on the right side panel of this web site forum.

wa2ise #193139 03/19/10 09:47 PM
Sparky:

Approval would have to be by Bill

One issue that I thought about is a way to avoid any advertisement within the section, IF it were to happen.

I think it would be interesting, and should generate quite a few topics.

Let's see how this goes here and get Bills opinion.

John
sparky #193147 03/20/10 12:11 AM
Administrator
I don't know how something like that could be regulated to keep out advertisers, people with grudges, or other agendas. This means you couldn't really trust what you'd be reading anyway. With that said, I'd be against adding a new section for that purpose, it would be like putting out an invitation.

In general, I don't want to make the Forum any more complicated than it is unless there is a specific need. People get confused and don't know where to post things, and sometimes annoyed if they have to look through too many areas.

Right now I don't see any need for new areas unless we get a large amount of threads on a specific topic that don't really fit into an existing category.

Bill

Admin #193153 03/20/10 10:15 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
Agreed it could go badly Bill.

and to be honest, i can get a product review here almost anytime from the participants, one product at a time. I think we've all been down that "which would be best" road and done that here.

further, my orginal Q was asking if anyone assumed some manner of rating system anywhere at all, as opposed to asking it done here.

one would think there would be somewhat an interest, if not a market, i certainly could utilize a concise product review , might help aleviate those costly callbacks we all experience due to inferior products

~S~

sparky #193155 03/20/10 11:28 AM
R
We need a "consumer reports" for the electric industry

Link Copied to Clipboard