ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 227 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Rewire #193187 03/20/10 10:24 PM
E
Rewire, I got hit with a similar "invisible" bill for a hole that was poked through the roof in a brand-new 10-story office building. They swore that we drilled through the roof decking, through 2" of Styrofoam, 2" of other "whatever", then the rubber membrane, the tar, gobbledy-goop, rocks and what have you.

There were crazy rains and the flood damage was absolutely unbelievable throughout the building.

We proved that we were simply shooting sheet metal screws into the roof decking on the bottoms of the corrugations, which is perfectly acceptable. It turned out that the alarm contractor had been using a 1/2" SDS hammer drill on each floor for their mountings and they forgot that they had reached the top level.

We had to pay a huge amount of money in legal fees to defend ourselves (paid by the insurance company fortunately), but in the end, it was proven that the other contractor was the culprit. They had drilled the hole and just packed it with Duxseal within six inches of one of our attachments.

Stick to your guns and demand details. I'm sure that the cost of this bill is equal or less than your insurance deductible, but sometimes you need to waste the money just to prove a point.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
EV607797 #193250 03/23/10 06:17 PM
M
Wires outside of a box with a cover on it are live wires. At the very least the wires should have been removed from the breaker and if that is too much trouble then your service technician should have installed a lock and tag on the breaker. Take a photo of the tag too. that cable should never have been energized and should this have come to the attention of an OSHA inspector I'd guess the bill might have been closer to 5 grand plus the ac repair. Breakers left in the off position are an invitation to turn them on and even a piece of tape across the breaker is not locked off.
Electricians are repudedly the smart guys on a jobsite but how smart is it to leave the safety to a roofer?
Sorry to pile more on. A mistake was made but the next mistake must be avoided.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard