ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
twh Offline OP
I suppose you could convert to rigid where it comes through the basement floor and install a proper seal under the panel.

I'd be tempted to use acwu and just use duxseal between the cable and the sleeve where it comes through the basement floor.

Cat Servant
I don't care if you wrap the feed in armor plate and encase it in concrete- why do folks have such a passionate objection to having overcurrent protection and a disconnect right at the meter?

The idea makes even less sense when omitting these things costs more than having them.

B
I agree with you Reno, if you can get a meter base with a disconnect for $50, why wouldn't you. Unfortunately those run about $1,200 in my area.

So I have some questions for you...
- What make are they?
- Are they approved for use in Canada?
- Do you want to go into the meter base business?

For twh, I thought about using ACWU. I'd have to install a short section of rigid PVC through the foundation wall for the concrete pour.

Do you think that I would need another sleeve going through the slab?

Thanks... Bruce

T
twh Offline OP
If you don't have a sleeve through the slab, the acwu would probably be damaged when they finish the cement.

Are you sure you can go through the foundation wall? I think the floor can be fairly close to the footing.

Reno:
You said...
"For my house, I used a small "All in one" at the service drop. At $45, the unit cost less than most simple meter bases. With only 10 spaces, this panel isn't very large- so I use it to serve a second panel inside the house."

All-in-ones are not common in my area, and I am amazed that you can buy one for under $50!! You are referring to an enclosure with a meter socket, main OCP, and branch circuit bus space, correct??

John
B
Originally Posted by twh
If you don't have a sleeve through the slab, the acwu would probably be damaged when they finish the cement.

Are you sure you can go through the foundation wall? I think the floor can be fairly close to the footing.

You're probably right about damage through the slab. Good point.

Where I am is different then where you are. We have the Canadian Shield, so when an area is excavated they go right down to the bedrock, find the high point and build up from there. The lower areas get filled in with sand. On this job, I'll probably have 5' of sand between the slab and the footings.

Cat Servant
Here is the product I used:

http://www.amazon.com/Square-Schneider-Electric-SO1020VP-20-Circuit/dp/B00CONLELU

(Sorry for the Amazon link to a 'package deal.' The Square D website seems to have become ever more useless.) Panel widely available throughout the Western USA, and is stocked by Graybar.

It's a 100 amp, overhead feed unit. By replacing the main breaker, you can increase it to 125 amps. Otherwise, there are numerous other varieties made, to at least a 200 amp rating.

The base is of the 'ring type.' Other models are available ringless.

My specific model is not 'Canada Legal.' This is because of the Canadian requirement for a more extensive partition between the two halves. Loyal viewers of "Holmes" may have noticed the additional shielding within Canadian panels.

Yes, the unit has a meter base, a main breaker, plus space for 10 full size breakers (or 20 'skinnies').

Cat Servant
Here's another link to another vendor, showing some of the other models available:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Electric...D-by-Schneider-Electric/N-5yc1vZbm1bZ684

$1200? I suspect you are being fed the "List price," which for Square D is an absurd joke.

It can also pay to be persistent. When I wished to get mine (after I moved to Arkansas), I did face some difficulties. I was given prices in the $800 range, told it was non-stock, special order, and all that. Having installed dozens of them in Reno, I had some trouble accepting that line- even when it was repeated to me over the phone by area rep!

The issue was solved when I called Graybar and confirmed that, yes, they had plenty available. With that, my local vendor suddenly found a way to obtain one for me.

B
At $1200 I know that I'm being ripped off.
But I am Canadian and we're nice and accept it.

Go on the homedepot.ca website and you'll see that those products aren't even offered here.

T
twh Offline OP
These are available in Canada. I don't have access to a price with gutter for underground and a breaker, but I think it would be about $600. The great thing about this one is that you can use Canadian dollars.

www.tnb.ca/en/pdf-catalogues/boxes-...r-sockets/100-a-120-240-v-co1-series.pdf

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard