ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 279 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#192855 03/07/10 12:42 PM
T
triple Offline OP
Is a 3/8 "romex" connector listed to be used with a combination of a 12-2 and a 14-2 NM running through it? I believe that it has to be two 12-2's or two 14-2's (no mixing of different sized cables allowed). Of course other single cables can also be inserted.

E
It depends upon the manufacturer, although I haven't seen any that aren't rated for two identical cables in quite some time.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
A 110.3 (b) issue. Tough argument, unless the packaging happens to bo 'on-site', for either party to 'prove'. (Although the onus is going to be on the EC)

Personally, I haven't came accross this issue for quite a while.

John
G
This is one of those things that if it looks OK it is probably OK. When you see the other listed Romex clamps (buttons and the internal clamps in blue NM boxes etc, these old style connectors look bulletproof. If the jackets all got in there undamaged and they are well secured, what would the problem be?

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
I was hinting 'discression of the AHJ'. But, basically you don't 'hint'.

John
R
I was always told that part of the connector had to be in contact with the cable thus you were limited to two cables.I have never had an inspector insist that they both be 12 or 14.

Originally Posted by Rewire
I was always told that part of the connector had to be in contact with the cable thus you were limited to two cables.I have never had an inspector insist that they both be 12 or 14.

Interesting! Each jacket in contact with the connector, so a stack of three flat cables is NG, but one flat with two 'on edge' may fly?? Something like |=, as oppesed to ||| ?

John
K
You would definitely want to check the connector manufacturers literature.
I know that the Arlington #814, which is a basic two screw 3/8"[1/2"KO] NM connector I often use, is listed for a bunch of different cable combinations, some of which I would not usually consider using, like two 14/2 and one 12/3 in the same connector. I stock some other two-screw connectors made by Topaz that are rated basically the same.

Even the Arlington "black button" plastic 3/8" NM connectors can be used with two 14/3 or two 12/3 cables, and both the T&B and Arlington's plastic push in "wedge lock" style connectors are rated for many different cable combinations as well. These wedge lock connectors are also rated for use with flexible cords within a certain range of diameter.

It gets a little ridiculous with some of the larger size plastic NM connectors, like the 1" and 1-1/4" where they are rated for use with up to nine 14/2 or ten 12/2 as well as several other cable combinations.

H
Years ago when I worked with my old boss, we use to install two 14-2 RX wires in one 3/8" connector. Some AHJ's would allow it and others wouldn't. they were never listed for more than 1 wire, but 2 wires would fit in there with no problem. This might be where the AHJ uses 90.4 of the NEC.
There was a proper two wire RX connector which you could install two 14-2 wires,14-3,12-2 or 12-3 wires. The newer plastic connectors ( I believe) are listed for multiple wire connections.

R
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Originally Posted by Rewire

Interesting! Each jacket in contact with the connector, so a stack of three flat cables is NG, but one flat with two 'on edge' may fly?? Something like |=, as oppesed to ||| ?

clarify: the side of the cable,not the edge. Now we see why the code is updated every three years

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard